Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Will VS,VT,VX Ecotec work in a VY

Some541

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
My engine in my VY has just about died and am lookin at gettin another one, Just wanted to know if the engine from a previous model will work in the VY without havin to change wiring loom and ecu?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
VS and early VT wont as they didn't have the EGR valve (not that hard to change though). I think there were some other minor mods up to the VY.

Legally though, no, an older engine can't be fitted. You would have to be the unluckiest person alive to get done for it though.

I personally would be looking for a low kilometre VY engine though. The VS and VTs and even the VX are going to have some pretty high milage by now.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
VS and early VT wont as they didn't have the EGR valve (not that hard to change though). I think there were some other minor mods up to the VY.

Legally though, no, an older engine can't be fitted. You would have to be the unluckiest person alive to get done for it though.

I personally would be looking for a low kilometre VY engine though. The VS and VTs and even the VX are going to have some pretty high milage by now.

How early are you talking, because my 97 VT Berlina came out with the EGR system. From the VX - VY they did a slight head change with the water or oil galleries I'm fairly sure. Apart from that I think they are pretty much the same.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The L67 didn't have the EGR, all other VT's did. Apart from changing a few sensors, the engines will interchange. But I would go with a VX-VY engine.