Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Win 7 Issue - Loading Operating System..

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Hey Guys

I need a bit of help with a computer issue that has occurred on my mate’s computer.

He kept having the screen showing ‘Windows is not genuine, Please activate’, so I went into computer system properties and activated the product key – all worked well!
I also put Malware bytes and MSE on there as well. (Already had another anti-virus program as well)
However, now after it’s booted into Windows and seems to work fine. But after a while (very spontaneous) it will go to a black screen and shows:
Loading Operating System….
Boot from CD/DVD:
Disk Boot Failure: Insert System Disk and press Enter

If you shut the computer down (hold the power button on the tower) and turn it back on it will boot fine.

So I took Malware bytes and MSE off as it thought it may have been that corrupting it however this didn’t work. Did a CHKDSK and it showed nothing. Also swapped the SATA cables from the DVD player to the HDD to try an isolate this issue however the screen also came back up.

So do you guys have any other things I can try? Does it sound like a corrupt registry? Failing HDD? (Although the computer is less than 4mths old) I don’t want to reinstall the OS if I don’t have to.

Thanks in advance

Luke

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
SookyTurner said:
But after a while (very spontaneous) it will go to a black screen and shows:
Loading Operating System….
Boot from CD/DVD:
Disk Boot Failure: Insert System Disk and press Enter

Only thing I can suggest, and I can't suss it out since my laptop isn't here but if you hold/press F10 or F8 or whatever to get to your boot menu, you can change where the pc boots Windows from. I remember running my MemTest64+ disc, which requires you to change your settings to boot from disc (like when you install windows for the first time) and forgot to change it back and it would give me errors cos there was no disc in the drive to boot from after I finished, so check your boot settings (I think HDD is the normal option but it might be different for you)

This pic is an example of the menu:

boot_harddisk.jpg

If you really want to go all out, try system restoring to a previous point before the dramas started, he might lose some saved files from the restore point till now though, programs installed since the last backup etc will all be gone

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Is he using an SSD, this was a glitch with Corsair drives which a patch was released for. If it isn't an SSD then I would do a very thorough disk hard drive scan using one of the bootable media type scanners avaialbe online. Windows scandisk is worth a try but not as good.

SookyTurner

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx
Gday Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I ended up finding out what it was.

@Big Al - nah mate, just a standard HDD
@87RB30VL - I think that was part of my problem, the BIOS boot order.

This is what I think happened:

After activating Windows it has given it full accessibility. So therefore now the power plans can work properly. The power plan was set to turn the HDD of after 20mins, so I changed it to never turn the HDD off. Also went into the BIOS and disabled all other boot devices apart from the HDD.

I think the HDD must have been turning off after 20mins and then for some reason looking to the CD/DVD drive to boot from when waking up. Thats my theory anyway lol. Touch wood everything is okay.

Thanks for your input though guys