Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Win XP

stretch

Just Commodores Shop
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Saloon Car
For anyone that is running Windows XP, the new service pack 2 that Microsoft has produced is not worth downloading at the moment. Too many problems have ben found so far and you will find that some of you other programs will need a patch as well. These problems have occurred in burn programs such as "NERO" and "CLONE". If you can, hold off for a bit longer till all problems have been sorted.

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
yes, the choice for the service pack is weather you want the extra security...but it is faily easy to put the patches in fo the programs that stop working...service pack 2IS worth getting but only if yuo want to fiddle round with the patches, there is a list of programs that are affected ill see if i can get that link.

Reason y to get it
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/topten.mspx

Programs that will have problems and the way to fix em
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=842242&product=windowsxpsp2

Last edited:

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Unless your running a server/network, the upgrade ain't worth getting. I run a network with win XP on a win98 shell and haven't even upgraded with SP1. Aslong as you run a firewall (black ICE, symantec's) and haven't got any hardware issues, winXP with SP1 is fine. Also the SP2 initiates its firewall from the get go, this l can see as an issue as sometimes with networking/broadband the firewall can cause conflicts. The only advantage l see is the pop up block.... but who really needs that?

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
it keeps everything intergrated and saves time but the power of the firewall will not be as good as a good brand stand alone one

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Well I don't think I'll get it for a while, Firewall is stand alone and theres an external hardware one on top of that, not too worried about security, as for pop ups, just using mozilla, I don't even want IE installed on my system anymore.

I'll get it eventually, but I couldn't give a rats atm.

Camz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT Equip "Clubbie" Lookalike!
Have been running the XP SP2 since the RC1 (beta) about 3 months ago on 2 computers, with no probs. (the 2 computers are networked via an ADSL modem/router) I find that if you apply the SP2 to a clean system ie run all adware/virus checkers, delete unwated programs & defrag before install, you should end up with a very stable system.
Just my experience!
Camz :wave:

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
I wouldn't bother now. I've never been one to worry about security though, I spend most of my time on computers, working with them etc, and I've never had a virus. If you use your computer properly you shouldn't need to worry. That is why I dont really care about SP2, plus the fact that Microsoft never gets anything right the first time, so maybe when they release SP3 for XP then I'll install the current revision of SP2.

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Camz said:
... you should end up with a very stable system.
Just my experience!
If you want a stable OS, use linux (debian of course :D)!!!

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
2_SeeK_U said:
If you want a stable OS, use linux (debian of course :D)!!!
Red hat is better ;)