Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

window tint question

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
ok so my dad just bought some 35% tint off ebay for his hx statesman, but now he's received it and its not as dark as he had hoped, so he's just gone and bought some darker 15% tint. he said if i wanted i could have the 35% tint as he's obviously not gonna use it now. so ive got 2 questions- 1. i know the legal limit with your front windows and front windscreen is 35%, but how about your rear windows and rear windscreen? can the rear windows and rear windscreen be as dark as you want it? question 2- is it possible to put 2 layers of the 35% tint on one window/windscreen and get a result of 17.5% ??? or would pasting 2 tints on top of each other not work? probably a bit of a dumb question but i know absolutely nothing about window tint lol, just want my car to look good but dont wanna pay 300 bucks for tint-a-car to do it. cheers for any replies :thumbsup:

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
In Victoria I believe the front windscreen is not allowed to have any tint at all.
I am not 100% sure but i think the rear windows can go as dark as you want.
On my work vehicle my tint guy put on two layers of tint for more strength if windows were smashed and worked out to be around 5% tint.
My second car (VN) has single layer of 5% all round but really its a bit to dark on the front sides at night.
I know the Police are doing a blitz on tint at the moment so if I get busted I will have no problems changing the front tint.

Dazz

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
-Not aloud to have tint on the front windscreen
-35% on all other windows

But honestly, I think doing the tint yourself is going to be a bitch of a job :p I'd rather pay someone to do it then risk messing it up.
Also I know 35% is legal but to be honest its not dark enough :p
I've got 20% and its perfect :D

Edit: in victoria, dont know about brisbane

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
-Not aloud to have tint on the front windscreen
-35% on all other windows

But honestly, I think doing the tint yourself is going to be a bitch of a job :p I'd rather pay someone to do it then risk messing it up.
Also I know 35% is legal but to be honest its not dark enough :p
I've got 20% and its perfect :D

Edit: in victoria, dont know about brisbane

I reckon to, better to get someone to do it, Mine cost between 200 and 220 for all my cars he has done, and thats at home

zskinner

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN CalaisV 6.0L
yeah true, i thought about if i stuffed it up so wasnt 100% on doing it myself. but yer ill get it done professionally now i reckon, thanks for all your replies :thumbsup:

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I believe if u have a panel van ute or wagon u can go very dark tint on back window/s because if u are carrying loads all the time u can't see out the back anyway, thats my understanding anyhow :p