Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wine

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
So what your saying in layman's terms is that penfolds is **** over priced wine, then yes i agree :)

LOL!!! There's a good joke. :D Only the Grange is over-priced. But Penfolds not **** wine. Not by a long shot!

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Are there certain qualities to taste for or is it like so many other things and really just personal preference?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Are there certain qualities to taste for or is it like so many other things and really just personal preference?

Yes there's a fair bit to discussing / communicating wine including taste but there's no accounting for personal taste.

Isaac

Cool Guy
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria/Lyndoch, South Australia
Members Ride
D22 Navara
LOL!!! There's a good joke. :D Only the Grange is over-priced. But Penfolds not **** wine. Not by a long shot!

I agree it's not **** wine, but it's pretty hard to make **** wine when you are making such big batches and you blend so much. I guess that is what steers me clear of Penfolds, nothing wrong with the wine, I just find it boring and clinical.

I also agree that the pricing is a bit over the top, nothing crazy, I just think you can get much better bang from your buck from the smaller labels.

Once again it comes down to personal preference, if you are happy with what you're drinking and how much you pay for it then go you're hardest. :)

If you're looking for some top affordable Barossa Shiraz's and blends my favourites are,
- Dutschke's Oscar Semmler Shiraz, I've got a few of the latest release but havent tried them yet, but previous vintages have never let me down (their St. Jakobi is awesome too!).
- Charles Melton's Nine Popes GSM, all his wines are a little overpriced, but tasty!
- Grapes of Ross' Black Rose Shiraz, Great drop for the money, underpriced in my personal opinion.
- Moorooroo Park's Lottie's Shiraz, They have a great little cellar door too.
- Any of Sieber wines, great bang for buck quafers, great people too, just make sure you bring a designated driver if you visit!

Talking about all this wine makes me want to open a bottle.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Talking about all this wine makes me want to open a bottle.

Already have. 2009 Pepperjack Shiraz! Can't go wrong with this as an every day drop. :D

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont

Sorry but paying 30-40 for a bottle of average wine that i can buy on another label for half the price is over- priced and ****.

But hey you continue to spend that money making yourself feel better and ill continue trying different and unique wines for less.

My one for this week is a Devil's Creek Merlot think it was 2012 vintage about $11 at dan murphys and its a very easy drinker quite different to most merlots i had rather liked it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Ummm... Try $17 mate...

Merlots are alcoholic cordial. You think a Shiraz is **** but then go on to praise a Merlot? LOL!!!

Isaac

Cool Guy
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria/Lyndoch, South Australia
Members Ride
D22 Navara
Already have. 2009 Pepperjack Shiraz! Can't go wrong with this as an every day drop. :D

Yep, always have a couple of these handy if I can't make up my mind, never lets me down. :)

Merlots are alcoholic cordial. You think a Shiraz is **** but then go on to praise a Merlot? LOL!!!

Actually Merlot is great variety in it's own right. If made right that is. The new age way of letting the fruit hang longer allows for it to fully ripen, creating higher alcohol full body wines that can come out with some spectacular dark fruit flavours complimented by soft silky tannins. If you don't believe me try Hemera Estates' Single Vineyard Merlot, or Wayne Dutschke's 80 Block Merlot, which has been selling so well he hasn't had enough fruit left to make his Willowbend Blend, which is much to my disgust as that was one of my staple wines!

Although I do agree, Merlot made in the traditional 'Bordeaux' fashion doesn't have enough oomph in my personal preference, although I guess it does have it's advantage as a blending component.

Going back to my previous statement, it all comes down to personal preference. I've drunk some expensive wines that didn't do if for me, and some cheap bottles that I couldn't get enough of. I've done numerous blind tastings over the few years, and it's always great to watch peoples reactions when the bottles are revealed!

twogirlsdad

Waiting for my summer.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 Commodore/Pontiac G8 GT Sold. '17 Chevy SS
Yalumba Y Series Shiraz Viognier 2011 and Yalumba Y Series Cabernet Sauvignon 2011 are two of my favorite Australian wines. Both go great with beef, pork or venison. The Shiraz Viognier with pulled pork...oh my goodness was that a great pairing I stumbled on. Our local Binny's Beverage Depot has them for US $9.99/bottle. I bought a mixed case at that price. Also have a bottle of Yalumba 21 year old Tawny Port down in the basement. I'm waiting for my life long best friend's 50th birthday to enjoy it.

Sadly the restaurant that introduced me to these wonderful wines, Courtright's, closed last year after 19 years. My wife and I went there at least once every summer and again at Christmastime. This was the fine dining establishment we could always agree on. The search for a new favorite is on going. Currently we love Frontera Grill in downtown Chicago but that's a heck of a drive or a long ride on the commuter train for a great meal. Enough about my first world problems, open a bottle of your favorite wine and enjoy. From the northern hemisphere I bid you cheers!

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
These three have been my poison for the last few weeks while the wifes been overseas with family. I replaced them with some pepperjack because im a lazy tightass most of the time. I hope she doesn't mind too much. All very nice but I must have a soft spot for Lou I just love that old dusty flavor, I regret drinking it now hope I can get some more.

Nice to hear good things from the US of A about the local product. I know SFA about wine in the US but im keen to try some wine from Caduceus Cellars in Arizona just because its owned by Maynard a la Tool but last time I checked they didn't deliver to Aus. Frontera grill hey . . . a GM establishment?

Whats your take on the budburst PIR4TE not too bad? Early days but feels like its going to be a dry summer.

wine3.jpg

Edit: Hope im proved devastatingly wrong, not fan of the dry summer. And dont get me wrong pepperjack is good stuff just easy and know mrs likes it.

Last edited: