Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wire mesh / grille

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Ok back to the question then. The way I'm getting it done on my grille is they are putting lumps on knead-it at intervals all the way around. let it 90%set and then put the mesh in place and screw it in. Also means you'll get a better fit, more mount point and each screw can be positioned to exactly match the holes in the mesh without pulling it.

Of course, you'll need to take the front bar off.

harvma20

CarPC[====----] 50% Comp.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
mmmmmm i like rice

AGRO_38

Formerly SLAYR
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VS UTE
thats hardly rice. i sorta think rice is alot of apperance mods that do nothing but attract attention eg spoilers, neons, water jet covers, stickers..all in one bang. Some wire mesh in a front bumper on a nice neat car is hardly rice..i guess those new fords are rice..

ssmate

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss thunder
thats hardly rice. i sorta think rice is alot of apperance mods that do nothing but attract attention eg spoilers, neons, water jet covers, stickers..all in one bang. Some wire mesh in a front bumper on a nice neat car is hardly rice..i guess those new fords are rice..

well said,

ill be puting it in my air damn soon,
when i can be bothered takin the front off, the mesh has been sitting in my shed for bout 3 months ( like all my other 'Future Mods') lol

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
i chucked a bit of black mesh at the back of my letterbox grille on my vp.
didn't do anything more, cos i'm cheap, but i was sick of seeing my radiator through the gap.

i just bent it into the shape, put it there, then screwed the grille back on so that the screws to the body went through holes in the mesh.

easy as.

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
Here is a pic of mine...I have Calais Grilles though...had to take the front bumper off and screwed it on...

attachment.php

Cheers, Joe:thumbsup:

JocRot

Y Series II Clubby
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Y Series II Clubsport
Crabito, there is basically 3 ways to do this.
1. Glue
2. Bolt or Screw
3. Plastic Weld (yes plastic weld for the more adventurious)

Glue is the easest. Just cut the mesh about 50mm bigger than the opening and fold it like a cap and throw a few dobs of liquid nails around it to hold it in place. Trouble is if it gets damaged it is the hardest to replace.

Screw is (in my opinion) the best. Easy to replace if it cops a hit but a bit more effort required. Use anything you want really in a "L" shape cross section (aluminium is perfect). Cut it about 30mm long and glue it round. Once its dry just hold the mesh in place and screw (or drill holes to bolt) it back to the brackets.

Plastic welded is how the genuine holden mesh is fitted. They us a plastic suround to finish the mesh off nice and clean and then plastic weld it to the bumper (but obviously the bumper must be plastic). I would not recommend this unless you are building a show car. Doesn't take much to bust the plastic weld. Those carpark curbs will do just that nicely. Thats $hit loads of effort too but looks the goods if you want a professional job.

itchy pits

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz
my mesh job

cut the mesh to size, decide which way to put it on cause it looks different if the vents angle up or down, shape the edges of the mesh so it wrap around the inside of the bumper bar, clean the surface with some thinners/turps/metho, get a gun with seka flex (bunnings sell the stuff for 30 bux), use plenty of seka between the mesh and the surface of the bumper, finger the seka that ooses through the mesh to cover the other side so is encased in seka, place a brick on the mesh to hold it against the opening of the front bar and let it dry :thumbsup:

1 sheet from auto barn and i had enough left over to do the 2 small outter bits but i couldent be bothered

u can only bent the mesh a few times cause the stuff will break if u try to straighten it and reshape it. :bang:

Attachments

• mesh.JPG
    mesh.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 362
  • mesh1.JPG
    mesh1.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 248