Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wireless Cameras

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I have a Uniden Guardian wireless CCTV kit that the screen has decided to die. We used to be able to view the cameras via the mobile app, but since we have moved location and changed networks, we can no longer see them or set them up on the new network as it requires the Uniden screen.

My question is, how do I see the cameras on say a DVR set up? How can I see the IP addresses of the cameras to set them up on the DVR? I have tried searching for wireless devices on my phone and the network router but don't see them. I haven't got a DVR yet because I want to know if they will work first.

I have read that I can use a NAS, but then buying that plus the hard drives will push the cost up to more than a whole new system would cost to buy.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Make sure you do your research before you buy some, as a lot of the out of the box wireless type consumer grade ones are moving to cloud storage models with a yearly per camera subscription cost and no option of local storage. The more consumer oriented stuff also strips out a lot of flexibility so that it's only setup in one particular way for 'simplicity'.

Off the top of my head my guess is that they would rely on the WPS function from a consumer router or something similar to get their IP address, then whatever interface/program it uses would scan the network.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Looking at some of the Uniden manuals for these it says that the cameras are already paired to the monitor from factory.

Last edited:

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
That's my issue, they are paired, but I have read also that once you can identify the IP address of the cameras, it would be easy to find and view them on a network.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
If they're paired from the factory it's unlikely they're using your network to communicate with the tablet, how would the factory pair them otherwise? The tablet might use your network but it doesn't sound like the cameras do. Where was the footage recorded to?

Are there any buttons or barcodes on the cameras? Have you seen any addresses used up on your router that could be them?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The issue with cameras is that unless they follow some open protocol like ONVIF, they probably use a close proprietary protocol which may not allow easy access or configuration via ip network.

The fact UNIDEN cameras wirelessly paired with the base station automagically, I’d think they’d run some proprietary protocol over wifi and it’s closed off and not ONVIF.

Really, your solution may be to look at the what has died and fix it. Assuming that the screen isn’t integrated like a laptop screen, is the screen plugged in via hdmi or vga connector? Maybe the default connector has changed after power issue?

Maybe check the user manual and try and reset the default monitor output to the connector in use (hdmi or vga). Also test the monitor on a pc to ensure it works or if hdmi is faulty, use vga instead…

PS: NAS based CCTV generally use wired ethernet with POE repeaters and ONVIF cameras; somewhat clumbsy… If only GB POE adapter cards weren’t in the silly price category…

PPS: do you have a link to a user manual for the system?

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Are you using the same router? If you setup the dvr with a static address originally you might be able to hit it with a browser on its default port but uniden are notorious for proprietary interfaces

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
rename the network to match the old one, also re-use the old wifi password if you are lucky the cameras should just reconnect as if nothing has changed.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Rather than multi quoting I'll answer in order of posts.

R_J_K
They are paired from factory. Uniden have a small touch screen module that is also wireless, but plugs into a dock to charge. The network set up is performed via a menu on the touch screen. The screen has gone black and I can no longer see anything to set it up on the new network.

Skylarking
As above, integrated screen. There is no connection to allow a another screen to be plugged in. I have tried everything in the user manual and googled the hell out of it. Screen is FUBAR and there is no fix other than a tech repair.

Pollushon
We moved the business home and cancelled the NBN at the business address. Using the home NBN and network now.

mpower
Unfortunately I have forgotten what the old one was so can't do that.

I think I might just buy a new system, can get a decent multi camera kit with DVR for under $500.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
They are paired from factory. Uniden have a small touch screen module that is also wireless, but plugs into a dock to charge. The network set up is performed via a menu on the touch screen. The screen has gone black and I can no longer see anything to set it up on the new network.
It could be that the screen backlighting has died or the battery within the screen module has died and can’t hold a charge.

Before you completely write it off, I’d shine a torch or the screen and look for an image. If you can see something it’s the screens backlighting that has died. Otherwise are there any leds to indicate the unit itself works or is it dead to the world, in which case open up the module and check the battery… it may be easily replaceable ;)

https://www.security.org/security-cameras/best/poe/

Last edited: