Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wiring gauges in vy

zacrach83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Hey guys,

I bought the aftermarket gauges (oil pressure, water temp) and gauge holder that goes on the dash and was just wondering best place to tap the red 12v power wires into that run off the gauges. Have not done alot of wiring myself so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.:thumbsup:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
The 12v power line you could connect it to any fuse in your fusebox that switches on when the car's being powered by accesories and more. Or many people just splice the wire going to the cigareete lighter to use that. However with the VY's they're a little different and can be switched on without the key in. But still easy to do.

zacrach83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Cheers Alien,

Will use something off the fuse box:thumbsup:

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
No problem.

When doing it via the fusebox though, i suggest you tap into it BEFORE the fuse, and then place your own fuse on it for the guages too. For the simple fact that if you do it AFTER the original fuse you could overload that fuse and find that it keeps blowing.

Easy way to test, is to goto the fuse you want, check it works the way you want it to with an automotive test light. Remove the fuse, and only one side of it will cause the light to come on, use THAT one! And add your own fuse in the line.

Michael_123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2 5.7l
Hey guys,

I bought the aftermarket gauges (oil pressure, water temp) and gauge holder that goes on the dash and was just wondering best place to tap the red 12v power wires into that run off the gauges. Have not done alot of wiring myself so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.:thumbsup:

How much are these to buy?

Cheers