Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wiring up 2 x 12" Subs

Callum14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC Commodore
Hello, I have a VX Calais with the "Mastero" Sound system in it, with the poxy CD stacker and the 2 x 8" subs on the parcel shelf. I want to put another 2 subs in the boot (2 Ohm Alpine Type R 12" subs), and I'm unsure on how to run it as I'm new to audio, and I'm not sure how the original subs work. Originally I was just going to go off the + and - from the stock amp, but I've seen that these run off the rear speakers signal. So I was thinking of running off the front speakers. Do most amp's have a left and right RCA input or just the one? This is how I figured the current setup is, but I'm not sure.

I'm running off the original Head Unit but I assume any head unit I get will have front and rear output's.

thanks.

Attachments

• confusing.jpg
    confusing.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,029

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
run the subs in 2ohm itl be louder, positive from the amp to positive of first sub, negative of first sub to positive of second sub, then negative of second sub to negative of the amp, my mate is running three of the same subs this way, and trust me with the type R's, you wont even hear the stock subs, if anything theyl just distort and make it sound ****, their in the parcel shelf the subs will vibrate the **** out of them.

and the speakers have left and righ channels, you could buy a splitter and run 4 speakers of 2 channels then use the other two for the subs.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
I think you should be okay with that, providing the headunit can provide a sufficient high level output to the amp.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
run the subs in 2ohm itl be louder, positive from the amp to positive of first sub, negative of first sub to positive of second sub, then negative of second sub to negative of the amp, my mate is running three of the same subs this way, and trust me with the type R's, you wont even hear the stock subs, if anything theyl just distort and make it sound ****, their in the parcel shelf the subs will vibrate the **** out of them.

and the speakers have left and righ channels, you could buy a splitter and run 4 speakers of 2 channels then use the other two for the subs.

Don't listen to this guy, running subwoofers in series is just a stupid idea FULLSTOP.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
ditch the stock subs, and the stock amp (assuming its only for the subs) and run the rear channels of the headunit to either a line out converter (LOC) or straight into the subwoofer amp, if it accepts high level inputs.