Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

with rear drum brakes, the master cylinder was never much good

harry3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl berlina wagon 6cyl
some VLs have front disc and rear drum brakes, mine does and I was disapointed by the long travel and spongy pedal and hoped getting the system bled would improve it
however, a veteran brake mechanic said the spongy pedal was normal with rear drum brakes as holden, to save money had fitted a too small master cylinder
he said that many VL owners complained back when the VL was a new model and the common fix was to fit a bigger master cllinder to make the brakes work better
with the disc brakes, some pads have a warning piece of wire that scrapes against the disc rotor to warn that new pads are needed, but some pads dont
its said to be a scraping ringing type of noise
any comments?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Not really?

I never had a problem with the rear brakes on my VL. But im sure there's some good information somewhere in that post for somebody.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Pedal usually drops if the rear shoes are worn and or the master cylinder is leaking internally.
Adjust the rear drums correctly and check the master cylinder for internal leaks.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I would be looking at other problems as the front brakes do around 70% of the braking.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
this noise u r talking about is called a "Screamer Tab" for low pad medium.

u will find that the rear Drums are not "Self Adjusting" properly as the adjuster can seize. Whip ur drum off and manually turn the adjuster a few clicks until drum goes on tight but not contacting as such..

put a 1" Master Cylinder in... im currently running a 15/16 with Disk all round.

Was originally drums, so once turbo setup went on i needed to upgrade my stopping power.... drum to Disk rear conversion(Vn rear parts), Now she pulls up way better... but can be better again if VT brake upgrade goes on and with a 1.1/4' master as well

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
I only hate the drums when I'm going fast and need to stop suddenly. With drums, suddenly means a couple of hundred meters.

Disc all round here and suddenly stopping is still an issue :rofl2:

bsm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vb sl/e 310 + Vc sl/e
Check if you rear drums are over sized this make the rear wheel cylinder expand more giving you that effect on the pedal.