Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WK Thermos

bowsaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs series 1
Searched and read for 30mins, couldnt find what i wanted tho imsure has been done to death. WK Caprice, idling in traffic, temp shots to near red, goes back to normal, bout 1/3 on gauge if get moving, replaced coolant and thermostat with factory parts. Replaced both relays with factory ones. Still overheatin in traffic, aircon fan runs, but dont think other is coming on, how do i test that fan?

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Mine was doin same thing. Took it to a auto Elecy. Said the fan had **** itself. VY V8 Twin Thermos.
The main/both fans will come on at 98 degrees. off at 94. temp needle will move up to over half way at 105 degrees. I know this from when mine was doin the same. had to replace the main fan.

bowsaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs series 1
Thought as much, thanks, you buy new fans? If so how much?

bowsaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs series 1
Just got one off local stealer, 175, thats motor n fan.

bowsaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs series 1
Whats the engine bay fuseBlower Relay control?

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
Yeh mine were 220 for main cooling (D/S) 200 for A/c Cooling (P/S). Mt Isa Prices.... one engine bay relay controls low speed fans, the other controls high speed fans. Relay for blower motor inside cab, is under the steering wheel. "LS1 Y's have low speed on all the time unless a/c is on or temp reaches 98 Degrees". Auto Elect stated that. its easier to drop the Top hose and pull whole assy out. I didn't drop the hose and it was a PITA. Just go easy with it because i was too rough and ended up paying for a new Radiator. I cracked it when i removed the assy. Simple job Costed over $700.

bowsaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs series 1
Righto thanks, think i will drop the top hose then lol, are there bolts in the bottom of the shroud? Or just pins that fit in rubbers?

HSV 671

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY CLUBSPORT MM6
The shroud has tabs. They slide into the clips on the tank. The motors are bolted into the shroud assy. You will have to thread your own thread onto the motor, do this first. The two motors (warranty and second set) I got never had threads where there should have been. Then slide the assy back into the clips, do up hose and fill coolant. Set diagnostic mode to "temp", start engine, check coolant level and watch temp on LCD. Fans should come on at 98-99 and drop temp to 94 then they should switch off. Will run on high if ac is on.

bowsaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Vs series 1
All good, sitting on a third on gauge, how do i get into diagnostic mode to see temp? I had a go but couldnt find temp