Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WL Caprice Audio HELP

Pdelbian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais V8
Hi Guys

Ive been searching this forum for some time with no luck. I have recently purchased and added a 7" DVD screen to my WL caprice that im rather happy with. Some of the mods ive had to make to get this to happen are:
1. Remove the Blaupunkt Premium Head unit
2. Remove the Blaupunk Premium AMP
3. Identify Join the speaker wires in the boot together to allow headunit amp to run speakers
4. Replace the factory amp with a new amp to drive the SUBs
5. Run Wiring to allow for Reversing Cam, Sub Amp, Rear DVD player

Im now in a position where I want to connect the REAR DVD player (that drives the rear screens) to the front DVD player AUX IN RCA connections.

I can successfully get Video to happen (Yipee) but no matter what I do to pin out the Audio I get nothing. The attachment clearly outlines the Audio Out pins on the DVD player but none of these seem to work.

Anyone got an ideas? Im desparate as I dont want to ditch th unit that drives the rear DVD screens but a DVD player that cant play sound is useless to me too.

Attachments

• CIMG8438.JPG
    CIMG8438.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 5,794

Peach89

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
Old thread i know, but did u have any luck with this??
Im kinda in the same boat, did you lose any other of the factory displays etc after you put the DVD head unit in?
cheers

Pdelbian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais V8
Yes I did actually. I managed to get audio and video working from the rear DVD player through the aux input of the new front mounted 7" DVD Player. I'll have to check for yo exactly which connections were used as its my wife's daily and I can't get access to it until the weekend for ya. I also managed to add a infrared transmitter in the small rear console pocket so that the kids can listen to their stuff with headphones on whilst we get to listen to our stuff.

Works well but was alot of fiddling and work. I recall having to completely open up the DVD player to do it and getting to it isn't the easiest either. Its under a metal casing that's located under the center of the back seat.

If I can I'll post up the connections I used to get it working.

In terms of displays. The only thing I lost was the ability to change the date and time on the front display. Seems that the only way to control the date and time is through the old head unit. I also lost the ability to control the Ariel but I'm working on a solution for that.

Peach89

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
Ah k sweet... sounds like tricky stuff, steering wheel and roof controls all work?
So basically all works how it was from factory, can run all monitors (or back to, with seperate sound)
Did you just run all wires down the middle under the carpet or down side of car?
I put a stealth aerial in mine, a little digital 1 on the window.. works well.. sept for some reason doesnt pick up stations from distant locations
Also where is your AUX located on the rear player? mines on the left headrest monitor

Pdelbian

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais V8
Yep it all works. The front deck controls sound. When you switch to aux input you get video and audio from the rear DVD as you would expect and would when your listening to another source (such as the radio) you get the radio. I installed an infrared transmitter in the rear centre console pocket to allow the kiddies to listen to their DVD through IR headphones whilst mum and dad listen to their favourite tunes. Its not hard just fiddly and a bit of trial and error. I could have taken the whole thing to the local car audio people but I couldn't be stuffed paying someone $80 per hour to sit there and pin it out.
I decided to forgo the digital TV stuff mainly because I couldn't be assed setting it up. Like I said the only thing I really miss is being able to adjust the date and time on the front display but I'm not licked yet :) .

Sorry I haven't put any pics up but I'm working at the moment and also trying to build a project car. Any time I have left is going straight into the family. I'll see what I can do this weekend.

Peach89

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
all good mate no rush, im still working on ideas
sounds like it all worked out well, be good if you got time and date working, what if you added a seperate module and ran it into the screen?
does your volume display work in your cluster and top screen as factory? and rear dvd slot still works, so you can watch movies in back n something else in front?
I'm thinkin of adding a 6.5 - 7in touch monitor under the headunit and have computer wired in (to work with the factory headunit n rear screens like your set up) gonna be abit trickier i recon, and might not work, but see wat happens

Last edited:

mulhez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S
wk/wl headrest screens

I'm trying to connect the stock headrest lcd screens. Is it possible to directly power up an source from an aftermarket dvd player. The WK interior has been installed into a VT, so there is no rear dvd. I have removed the screen from the headrest and found that it is a Panasonic part no. UL5BDD1H0002 Model no. TR-PM7WA2GM.
The loom (rear of the screen) conneting the unit to the system has the following colours. (Left-Right) 15 pin out.

Pink - Light Blue - Light Green - White - Mustard Green -Thick purple - Thick blue - Red/white stripe - black - Dark Green - Yellow - Orange - Red - Brown - Black

I am assuming that it would be possible, by finding the +12v, -12v, V-in +/- ??
Would be a big help to find any wiring info. I have been searching everywhere.

Thanks for any help. Cheers.

mulhez

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S
pics screen/loom

Thanks again for any help.

Attachments

• IMAG0991.jpg
    IMAG0991.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 4,305
  • IMAG0992.jpg
    IMAG0992.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 2,003
  • IMAG0993.jpg
    IMAG0993.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,399
  • IMAG0994.jpg
    IMAG0994.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 2,693

vas

Reaction score
Members Ride
wl grange
i have the same problem with my wl grange can someone help me please ill pay if i have to thanks

Last edited:

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
i have the screens and want to do the same thing.. did either of you get it working?