Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WL Caprice - Intermittent buzzing/rattle noise in dash at idle

VA773ER

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice 5.7
Hey guys

My WL Caprice has a loud buzzing/rattle noise inside the cabin/dash at idle after driving for over 20mins, sounds like something electrical or something broken in the aircon, but does it regardless of aircon on/off radio on/off. Its intermittent sometimes at a red light it will buzz for whole time until I accelerate, sometimes it will make the sound on and off for split seconds, and sometimes it doesn't make it at all. I can replicate the sound in any gear including in neutral by revving it up and when it settles back to idle to sound will start and then stop seconds later, rev it up again and cycle starts again. When I first heard it I thought it was of someone mowing a lawn nearby....until the sound stayed with me further down the road lol

I have managed to get an approximate location of it, its located somewhere under the radio/gps area drivers side. I confirmed this by sliding my hand under the centre console side panel (forward end) and applying pressure to whatever it is in there.

Any idea what could be around that area that would make a buzzing noise? The space is too hard to see atm without taking the panel off (which I will do) All I can feel are wires and something cylindrical that I can feel the vibration/buzzing/rattle through.

Last edited:

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Lots of stuff can rattle. Investigate. Get a passenger to track it down while driving. Applying pressure works. Then glue!

VA773ER

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice 5.7
Update

Hey guys,

I ignored the noise for a while but its getting pretty bad so tracked it down to what I believe are the air vent actuators (correct me if I'm wrong, see pic attached) the white barrels. At first didn't think it had anything to do with the aircon but realised now that its only doing it when the vents are set to the "face-only" position for a long period. Sounds now like a clicking/tapping noise and them sometimes turns into a loud buzzing/vibration. Ontop of that, is it normal for both climate zones to be set at 25degrees and the passenger side vent blowing warm air while the drivers side blowing cold air, I'm assuming not haha

Has anyone had any problems with these before and can shed some light on how to fix/replace and costs involved? :)

Attachments

• vent actuator.png
    vent actuator.png
    364.7 KB · Views: 535

CRAIGVZCALAIS

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
Hey guys,

I ignored the noise for a while but its getting pretty bad so tracked it down to what I believe are the air vent actuators (correct me if I'm wrong, see pic attached) the white barrels. At first didn't think it had anything to do with the aircon but realised now that its only doing it when the vents are set to the "face-only" position for a long period. Sounds now like a clicking/tapping noise and them sometimes turns into a loud buzzing/vibration. Ontop of that, is it normal for both climate zones to be set at 25degrees and the passenger side vent blowing warm air while the drivers side blowing cold air, I'm assuming not haha

Has anyone had any problems with these before and can shed some light on how to fix/replace and costs involved? :)

Did you happen to find a fix? This is the exact same as my problem!