Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WL Statesman 3.6 won't start

remorseful1

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Statesman 3.6l
Hi all. New to the forum but been reading it for years and can't find what I need.

So my wonderful Statesman decided that it didn't want to start with the tell tale ping of the solenoid. I took out the starter and rebuilt it with a newer solenoid which worked fine.

Car started after that, and was ok to drive. First placed I pulled up, I stopped the car and when I came back to it, it wouldn't start but was trying to crank really fast.

Tried starting it a few times but it wouldn't turn over. I came back to the car a few hours later and it started first try.

Same situation kept occuring so I started checking things like the battery and alternator. Battery was fucked but the alternator is good as gold output wise ( 13.6 volts ).

After all that it still isn't starting and I am at my wit's end with this car. All the coil packs are new ( 3 months ago replaced them) and so are the spark plugs. All my relays are good and functioning properly.

Fuel pump is working properly but could be a little blocked. When the car is running it runs pretty smooth and doesn't struggle for power or anything.

I'm about to start testing where the relays slot in and then test the coils. Is there anything else I could be missing?

I was supposed to start a new job on Monday so I am a little limited on funds to throw at it.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I hate to say it but it’s the realm of the scan tool. There would be codes being generated and higher end scan tools will show what circuits are active and which are not.

I watched something this morning on this topic and it might just help you now to poke about without a scan tool.

I’d be suspecting that starter motor though.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
Your description does point to the starter spinning but not engaging with the engine

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
it wouldn't start but was trying to crank really fast.

Tried starting it a few times but it wouldn't turn over
so these two statements confuse me
turn over means crank
assuming you mean it wouldnt fire
sounds like classic crank angle sensor or fuel pump
if this is the first case of crank no start
i would double check your wiring connections , battery posts that you disconnected to do starter
13.6 is at the very bottom threshold for an alternator
also injected cars really need a good battery
so it might even have been that
they will crank fine but not fire and can be deceiving