Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wm caprice drive line thump

UjisCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice MY08
Hi all. First ever post. I have just picked up a MY08 White caprice V8 with only 65000kms. It still has the 3 month warranty on it so I want to fix all its problems as soon as possible. At the moment I'm getting a driveline thump when applying the throttle after coasting, it even thumps softly if the cruise backs off and starts accelerating again. I have taken it to Holden and they said no mounts are broken and the thump is normal for this model. I find it hard to believe this thump is normal. Have you guys got any ideas. I got under the car my self and checked the 3 diff mounts but there where good. TIA

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
No thump should be normal. Did you buy the car from the same place you took it back? If so, take it somewhere else for a once over.

Common causes of thumps are the diff bushes, engine mounts and gearbox mount, would also be looking at the tailshaft couplings.

UjisCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice MY08
Thanks grennan. It's going to a different dealer because I bought it 3hours away. I'm just about to go for another drive with them today.

UjisCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice MY08
Sorta of good news, my local Holden has at least confirmed my concern with the answer of "excessive diff back lash" and will investigate when it goes in for a harmonic balancer and ac bracket next week. So hopefully the dealer I bought the car from comes to the party

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
Every commodore I've owned has diff thumping. IMO it's normal-and no I don't thrash my cars.

UjisCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice MY08
I expect some driveline "thud", I had a vy and a ba and always expect some driveline take up but this is enough to send a shock through the car... Will update in a week what the outcome is...

UjisCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice MY08
Car thump seems to be getting worse. Now it's thumping just from going to d and R. I got underneath while someone was doing it and noticed the diff pinion is turning almost 1/4 a turn. It turns and almost stops and then has a last little clunk and turns a bit more... Could someone have a look at there's while going R to d and back and see how much is turns so I can go to dealer...this is like getting blood out of a stone....

UjisCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice MY08
Hi all. I just got a diff out of a wreck and got it fitted. 3.27 lsd and superpro bush fillers. Clunking is gone.. Yay... Damn holder dealers saying it was normal... They have no idea