Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WM caprice for 4500

jvt38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT calais
saw a gold wm caprice for sale for 5500, got the guy down to 4500. The car presents well with 230000kms on the car. I was wondering if this is a good deal as this is my dream p plater car and I have worked hard to afford it. Only thing wrong with the wm caprice is that the brakes need doing thats it. wondering if this is a good buy

Last edited:

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
What year is it? I'm pretty sure the earlier WM V6's came with the unreliable 5 speed... Have the chains been done? Any service history?

Reactions: Lex

jvt38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT calais
07/08 has books unsure if chains are done

What year is it? I'm pretty sure the earlier WM V6's came with the unreliable 5 speed... Have the chains been done? Any service history?

Last edited:

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
07/08 has books unsure if chains are done
Yep, it has the 5spd auto which is quite unreliable and difficult to rebuild them, as they were only offered for a few years, in VZ and VE S pack/SV6, Calais and Statesman/Caprice paired with the LY7 3.6 litre... If you'd like a WM, you'd have to go for a later model with the 6 speed auto or the older WK, which has the Ecotec...

Members such as @Fu Manchu and @J_D 2.0 owned cars with the 5spd auto and they had issues with them, despite being maintained...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Yep, it has the 5spd auto which is quite unreliable and difficult to rebuild them, as they were only offered for a few years, in VZ and VE S pack/SV6, Calais and Statesman/Caprice paired with the LY7 3.6 litre... If you'd like a WM, you'd have to go for a later model with the 6 speed auto or the older WK, which has the Ecotec...

Members such as @Fu Manchu and @J_D 2.0 owned cars with the 5spd auto and they had issues with them, despite being maintained...
The 5 speed transmission has a fairly decent lifespan in my experience. Got over 300,000kms out of mine, the problem is it’s basically uneconomic to repair it and you run the risk of the very expensive repair failing again in short order.

From what I’ve seen of the internals of the 5 speed transmission it doesn’t really look like it was designed to be repaired. It’s basically a throw away item and seeing as you can’t get a brand new one anymore it’s the end of the road for a Commodore that has one that fails.

jvt38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT calais

yeah thanks WK is a better buy in my opinion thanks mate

Last edited:

Sstagg2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 WM Statesman L76 1999 Hsv Clubsport vt ls1
Just gotta wait for a steal to pop up and be quick got a wm stato for 3k just torn down the 6.0 redone the engine myself all up cost me nearly 4500

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep a 2007 V8 Caprice sold here recently for $6k or less. It needed seat repairs and a couple of cosmetic things sorted but for $2k the front seats could be reupholstered and another $1000 on some a new rear bumper and you have a cheap luxury barge.