Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WM Statesman - Weird ongoing behaviour and warning lights

alexpook

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
It's a long story but I will try and keep it brief.

I bought a 2006 build V6 WM around 2010. First thing I did was get LPG installed. Over the last 2-3 years I've had "Check Engine" warning on all the time, an ABS warning light, and traction control staying off (can't turn it on). During services I've had the mechanic look at it, he's never been able to find anything just reset the warnings which subsequently reappear. I've been pretty slack about getting it looked at more seriously.

A few weeks back it started running rough on startup but would come good after warming up. "Check Engine' would start beeping more when this happened. Same behaviour on LPG and petrol. It got progressively worse over a few days before the car became unusable - would not start. So I took it to an auto electrician.

He replaced the coils (and spark plugs while he was in there) and also a wiring harness across the back of the diff (which seems to have fixed the ABS fault). But after a couple of days the rough idling started slowly coming back. Back to the auto electrician and he replaced some kind of air inlet sensor (said is SEEMED to be the problem but could not guarentee it - looked like a short stubby black cylinder). But now after a few days the rough idling is back and the traction control is off again (won't turn on).

I can go back to the auto electrician and spend more money - but I'd really like another opinion first! I just want it all to go away my car is not reliable.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
One of the O2 sensors in my WM Caprice 6ltr was faulty. Error pointed towards faulty heating circuit. Car is also on gas (vapor injected) and stuttered when cold, but was fine when warmed up (assume that the exhaust gases heat up the sensor to operating temps eventually)

The VE's will disable traction and ABS if there are any ignition issues, as it cannot trust the sensor data and risk damaging the motor.

alexpook

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
Surely he would be able to pull the error codes and go from there?

I am sure he could. Again. For the third time. What I am after is another opinion.

Is there a software update that may be applicable? Are there known issues that would cause such symptoms?

alexpook

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Statesman
He didn't tell you what codes it showed up?

Having read a bit on these forums in the last day or so, I can see why those codes are handy. He just talked in general terms as to what kind of things the error codes could mean. I can go ask, if he wrote any of it down of course. I'll call him in the morning.