Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Women better at parking than men - study

Lazyr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII R8 CLUBSPORT VE SS v2 monaro hsv avalanche 46
WOMEN are better at parking than men, according to new research which contradicts popular belief.

An analysis of drivers across England gave women a score of 13.4 out of 20 compared to 12.3 for men. Parking technique, accuracy and time taken were assessed in the research by a parking garage operator, NCP.

Women are slower than men at parking, taking an average of 21 seconds compared with 16 for men.

But they scored better on finding a space, positioning the car, reversing into spaces and making sure the car was centrally placed once in a space.

The study found men often missed available spaces by driving too quickly through car parks.

Well over a third of women opted to reverse into spaces - the method preferred by instructors - compared with just over a quarter of men.

Men were also happier with the position of their cars once in the space, with only 29 per cent choosing to start repositioning the car.

A majority of women found themselves shuffling forward and backwards to try to obtain a better final position, the study found, resulting in more than half of women parking centrally, compared with only a quarter of men.

Researchers said the study found men also loved to "pose park" when accompanied by a female passenger by opting to squeeze into a small space when a bigger one was available.

The study was conducted by looking at CCTV footage of 453 drivers parking across the country with further research carried out into the views of 2,000 drivers.

The scoring system was designed for NCP by driving instructor Neil Beeson of ITV's Last Chance Driving School documentary.

He said: "I was quite surprised by the results, because in my experience men have always been the best learners and usually performed better in lessons.

"However, it's possible that women have retained the information better. The results also appear to dispel the myth that men have better spatial awareness than women."

Jo Cooper, NCP chief executive said: "Parking is our business, so we carried out the research to see how well people park their cars.

"As an interesting by-product of the research, we've also found out that there is a difference in parking skills between the sexes, although perhaps not in the way that most people expected."

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Yeah but we all know that England is backwards anyway.

They should try a study of Aussie parking (or at least in my neighborhood). I can see the headlines know, "99% of Australian Public are **** at Parking".

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
Another scientific study about stuff that is not really relevant except to people on twitter... we all know men are better at driving than women

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
i must say, i've seen more **** female drivers than male, like pull out of side streets without looking both ways, cant park/use drive throughs and not to good at reversing.
but then most blokes behind the wheel are more aggressive.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
i must say, i've seen more **** female drivers than male, like pull out of side streets without looking both ways, cant park/use drive throughs and not to good at reversing.
but then most blokes behind the wheel are more aggressive.

Exactly, and what did they deem a bad park? just because you are not perfectly central does not mean you parked badly, so long as there is enough room for people to reverse out and get in and out of their cars. I think women are just more pedantic.

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is the biggest load of sh1t since . . .

Last edited by a moderator:

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Exactly, and what did they deem a bad park? just because you are not perfectly central does not my you parked badly, so long as there is enough room for people to reverse out and get in and out of their cars. I think women are just more pedantic.

Like this chick I saw today who had to correct her parking approximately 10 times thereby holding me and many others up for way too long.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
WOMEN are better at parking than men, according to new research which contradicts popular belief.

An analysis of drivers across England gave women a score of 13.4 out of 20 compared to 12.3 for men. Parking technique, accuracy and time taken were assessed in the research by a parking garage operator, NCP.

Women are slower than men at parking, taking an average of 21 seconds compared with 16 for men.

But they scored better on finding a space, positioning the car, reversing into spaces and making sure the car was centrally placed once in a space.

The study found men often missed available spaces by driving too quickly through car parks.

Well over a third of women opted to reverse into spaces - the method preferred by instructors - compared with just over a quarter of men.

Men were also happier with the position of their cars once in the space, with only 29 per cent choosing to start repositioning the car.

A majority of women found themselves shuffling forward and backwards to try to obtain a better final position, the study found, resulting in more than half of women parking centrally, compared with only a quarter of men.

Researchers said the study found men also loved to "pose park" when accompanied by a female passenger by opting to squeeze into a small space when a bigger one was available.

The study was conducted by looking at CCTV footage of 453 drivers parking across the country with further research carried out into the views of 2,000 drivers.

The scoring system was designed for NCP by driving instructor Neil Beeson of ITV's Last Chance Driving School documentary.

He said: "I was quite surprised by the results, because in my experience men have always been the best learners and usually performed better in lessons.

"However, it's possible that women have retained the information better. The results also appear to dispel the myth that men have better spatial awareness than women."

Jo Cooper, NCP chief executive said: "Parking is our business, so we carried out the research to see how well people park their cars.

"As an interesting by-product of the research, we've also found out that there is a difference in parking skills between the sexes, although perhaps not in the way that most people expected."

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
As a female I would confidently say that in my experience men tend to be better at parking than women. Of course there are exceptions some blokes are shockers and some women can park very well.

Rufys

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Calais Sportwagon
This is the biggest load of sh1t since . . .

LMAO!!! Best laugh all day... :D

Most up'd comment: "I have never seen some one walk up to a pile of **** with so much swag" Hahahahahahaha! GOLD!