Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wont start and no dash

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
VE V6 Berlina. Sat over Easter for about a week. Was started and shifted out of drive onto lawn. Started fine. Next morning Mrs went to use it and wouldn't start. Said cranked then died. Assumed batt went flat due to sitting and might be tired.

Charged for a bit anyway. Jumped in to start. Cranked fine but no fire. Cranks perfect. Just wont start.

Also noted nothing at all shows up on the cluster. Nothing moves or even lights up. Searched. Tried ecu reset as found on here. No help. Checked all related fuses but ok. Didn't pull other non related fuses though.

Stumped...

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Try to jump start it. ECUs don't like low voltages while cranks can accomodate it. Would explain why you can crank it but nothing happens because the ECU is just not running. Btw, the ECU has already been reset when the battery died ;-)

You will get the check engine light when it starts again because the ECU lost its memory, will clear after a few cranks/kms.

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
Update.

A mate used to work as a mechanic for Holden so had messaged him too. He said they are prone to flooding. I did notice it smelled flooded too. But wasn't sure if it was due to the fault or it was the fault. So lets go with the fault. I jumped it tonight off my car. Cranked a bit but started. Rough. Smelled flooded so happy to say that was all. Went for a spin around the block. Got back and there was a decent trail of unburnt crap in the drive as well as out onto the road. Oops. Anyway it runs.

But....

The cluster still hasn't come back to life. I've been over all the fuses that could be related but all are fine. Even the steering wheel controls are not working. Another oddly related thing is the indicators work but obviously not showing on the cluster but also no click on and off. I had been trying the reset with the menu button and other one but since the steering wheel controls don't work, neither does that.

Still stumped...

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
Yeah mate. Had searched already on several forums and had found that thread already. Tried both methods mentioned but neither worked.

Anyone got wiring diagrams for VE? Will start testing fuses and relays a little better on weekend. All fuses look fine but may not be. Diagram would help though.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Mate, I know you said you checked fuses... but sometimes they look fine but arent.
Try actually changing the instrument cluster fuse with the spare one in the fuse box off to to the side. Or take one from a circuit you know to be operating fine.
There's a chance that when you tired to jump it something blew. Fuses have to be double checked to eliminate that properly, then you can start digging for more complicated fixes later.

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
Yeah that's what I mean about testing fuses and relays. I may have not spotted where a fuse has blown. They do look sweet but you never know. Will go over it when I get home tonight. With petrol. And burn it...

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
OK checked all the fuses, even ones not related, and all are fine.

Had a play with access to the cluster. Can see how to get it out. Anyone got wiring diagrams for it? Just to see if it is getting power or BCM is perhaps not telling it to fire up. Want to narrow the basics down before dropping it off to auto elec. He'll only do the same too so cuts down fault finding time.

Tried the resets again as posted here just in case. No luck there either.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
If your in Sydney I can put my Tech2 on the car for a small fee.
This will help you solve the problem.

BowTieGQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.8 ;)
Nah in Melb south east. Thanks anyway. I do have various OBDII software and cables. They do connect and do find faults I already know of. But not a Tech2 so not as good and therefor no help for me.