Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Won't start for 10 minutes when hot

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Nice work mate. Just make sure you do a nice job repairing it, add a bit of extra wire in if you need to. Make sure there are no exposed wires, save yourself problems in the long run, especially if you arent close to home.

anarky

Reaction score
Website
www.anarky.tk
Members Ride
In transition from a Magna to a VN S pac
Cheers I'll have a look at those tomorrow.

fcollins

Zekamaboy
Reaction score
Problems under hot conditions

Kopper69, you've given me a bit to go on with my own problem, thanks for that.
Just about every really hot day (37 degrees plus), after half an hour or more of highway running, my VS Acclaim runs out of power. All dashboard gauges are reading normal when I get this problem. Mostly the car stalls while I'm still moving (all dash lights then come on), but sometimes when I feel the power loss and pull over, it keeps idling but like a chaff cutter. After about 3 minutes rest, I can restart and drive off (sometimes it needs 5 minutes). Yesterday Sunday 28th the weather went over 40C where I am in the west, and I had to stop 9 times on a 170 Km trip home during the heat. I plan my trip accordingly, keep plenty of fuel in the tank, and stay off freeways where I'm likely to stuff other motorists up! In general, I hate summer for this reason.

I've been on this site before in the last 3 years or so, but didn't really get enough to help me decide whether it was a fuel-related problem (especially a faulty fuel pump and a hot fuel tank delivering fuel incorrectly) or a crank angle sensor (CAS). I've had the codes read by various mechanics, but they've always been normal. Even though the car seems to run longer after pulling over and buying fuel to cool the fuel tank, I'm leaning towards the CAS being the culprit. I have never cooled the CAS off by pouring water on it, a short rest period has always got me going again. But from what you say, Kopper69, and the article on the role of CAS's that I found on this site, I'm gonna bite the bullet and get it replaced. If that don't work, then I'll take another look at the fuel system, especially the fuel pump.

I say again that this only ever happens on really hot days.

anarky

Reaction score
Website
www.anarky.tk
Members Ride
In transition from a Magna to a VN S pac
As a long shot, your computer may be dodgy also. It may be giving normal readings, but it's shutting the engine off when it gets warm. Does the Acclaim have an external temperature sensor? If so, this may be a problem. I wouldn't know as I only have an Executive.

fcollins

Zekamaboy
Reaction score
Guys

I replaced the cas, but the same bloody problems with hot days continue. So I struck out on the cas, and will have to look elsewhere. I'm going to try to read the codes myself, and will research the Just Commodores site for help on this (I ain't no mechanic!). If anyone's got 5 minutes to get me started on reading the codes, I'd appreciate it very much.

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Guys

I replaced the cas, but the same bloody problems with hot days continue. So I struck out on the cas, and will have to look elsewhere. I'm going to try to read the codes myself, and will research the Just Commodores site for help on this (I ain't no mechanic!). If anyone's got 5 minutes to get me started on reading the codes, I'd appreciate it very much.

Try this to start with.
http://au.geocities.com/commodoretech/vsfaults.html

fcollins

Zekamaboy
Reaction score
Thanks VT_Acclm, I looked a bit further after I posted my message and found a heap of stuff on reading the codes, mainly from Darren and Kopper69, thanks fellas. I should now be right to do a bit of self-diagnosis. I've read some pretty horrendous stories about expensive diagnosis/repair jobs by skilled mechanics for problems like I've got, which haven't fixed the problems but have cost a lot of dough, so I'm gonna run with this for a while.

Cheers