Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Won't start just clicks

Alf2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore omega
Hey guys I have a 2007 ve omega that won't start it just clicks pauses for a few seconds then clicks again I just put in a new starter motor as I thought that was the problem and then I got some to try jump me but it just clicked I turned off everything using power aswell any help will be appreciated

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
A weak battery can engage the starter solenoid but the voltage drops as the starter motor tries to turn. Such a voltage drop causes the solenoid to disengage which then allows the battery voltage to go back up to 12v which then engages the solenoid again. The whole process can occur quickly or slowly. This repeated engaging and disengaging of the solenoid makes that characteristic clack clack clack sound coming from the starter motor. In such cases there is nothing wrong with the starter motor itself as the issue is a battery problem.

If you have a battery charger, try and charge the battery overnight. Then have your battery load tested. This should clarify if your battery is cactus or was just low on charge.. If the battery was not cactus, then get the cars charging system tested. If the cars charging system is ok, then consider the distance you drive each morning may not be enough to charge the battery fully so it slowly goes flat…

Alf2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore omega
A weak battery can engage the starter solenoid but the voltage drops as the starter motor tries to turn. Such a voltage drop causes the solenoid to disengage which then allows the battery voltage to go back up to 12v which then engages the solenoid again. The whole process can occur quickly or slowly. This repeated engaging and disengaging of the solenoid makes that characteristic clack clack clack sound coming from the starter motor. In such cases there is nothing wrong with the starter motor itself as the issue is a battery problem.

If you have a battery charger, try and charge the battery overnight. Then have your battery load tested. This should clarify if your battery is cactus or was just low on charge.. If the battery was not cactus, then get the cars charging system tested. If the cars charging system is ok, then consider the distance you drive each morning may not be enough to charge the battery fully so it slowly goes flat…
Thanks mate battery is on charge now it's fairly new battery less than 2 years old but hopefully that's the case I'll close the thread if I fix it

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Make sure the battery leads are nice and tight. Can you confirm that the rest of the car has power - lights, radio etc.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thanks mate battery is on charge now it's fairly new battery less than 2 years old but hopefully that's the case I'll close the thread if I fix it
Lots of lockdowns have occurred in Victoria over the last year, and they were even longer in duration for Melbournians as compared to the county folks :p

Sadly such lack of use that lockdown forced on some can allow the battery to drop below 12.4 volts where they start to sulphate. If the car isn’t going to be used for extended periods, it’s best to disconnect the battery and fully charge it up (you should see 12.65V after disconnecting the fully charged battery after resting it for a few hours to dissipate the surface charge). Then it’s best to check and recharge every 4 to 6 weeks (or just buy a ctek msx 5.0 smart charger that you can leave connected permanently).

Sulfated batteries may only have one of the six cells damaged and as such will still charge up to 12.5 (maybe 12.6) volts but will quickly drop to 12.4 or less volts over two or three days. It’s not unheard of to kill a battery via sulfation through poor handling :rolleyes:

You can read about 12v battery charging at:
https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-403-charging-lead-acid

That’s lead acid batteries for you….. finicky things that need TLC for a long life :p

Once the battery is charged, clean the posts and the terminals using wire brush or emery cloth and then wipe some vaseline on the battery posts before tightening the terminals as that protects the posts somewhat.

Still get your battery and charging circuit tested ;)

Alf2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore omega
Charged the battery now she starts up fine It was that dead I couldn't start even with jump start