Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Won't start. Strange electronic chime.

keith.s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7 SS
Since a couple of weeks the car won't start on the first try. The problem is usually in the mornings or if the car has been parked for a long time. It just "clicks" and there is no cranking.

Got the battery checked (after I had driven for a while, though). The report says good battery and good charge voltage. The technician said "get the electricals checked, something might be discharging the battery".

Today I had to try about 6 times to get it started. Now here's the funny part. When it finally started I heard a strange electronic chime / tune "BEEP BOOP BEEEEP" !! WTF was that!? No warning lights on the dash.

PS: It's winter here. Temps in the single digits. Usually its 30-50 degrees C rest of the year.

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
If it was DOOWA-DIDDY-DOO i could help ya out dude but don't know that tune your cars playing.

keith.s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7 SS
LOL! I could've been doowa diddy doo, wasn't pay much attention this morning. Sounded like an 80's arcade game over tune.

DylanWillo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 2005
Just a suggestion but on my 4wd i had a similar problem where it would just click click click every time i turned the key, later found out after a battery check that the terminals that go onto the battery were actually stuffed, check that out could be the problem??

keith.s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 5.7 SS
The ACDelco battery guy would have caught that I guess. Anyway, will have a look for corrosion.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
i know the sound you mean, it is hard to explain, the starter solenoid is protected by a heat shield underneath the passenger exhaust manifold, which unless you have removed it, is covered by a heat shield..

if it was manual i would suggest the solenoid could be choked up with clutch dust and not working correctly. Still could be an issue there. Turn the ignition on to accessories, open the bonnet as short the starter solenoid out, if the car starts, then its not a starter related issue, meaning it could be an immobiliser or key issue

DylanWillo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 2005
The ACDelco battery guy would have caught that I guess. Anyway, will have a look for corrosion.
i thought that too but its not what they look for "apparently" ohwell good luck anyway mate