Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

worked 304 vs 355 stroker???

impressive

BARRP BARRRRRP
Reaction score
Website
www.supercharger.com.au
Members Ride
VT SS 5 litre
sounds like your thought long and hard about ur decision.
stroker definately is the more reliable way, if u really wanna chase that 300kw, dont forget to look into a twin throttle setup (off a group a, come, motec etc).

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
Yeah i havent spoke to the guy about the manifold, but i have been told by many other workshops the stock one is only good for about 250kw.
Do you have to go a twin throttle manifold, or aftermarket one?
I have heard of guys getting their manifolds "match ported", I dont know much about this and whether it would withstand 300kw plus, But i would like to as much as much as possible, keep the engine bay looking stock. (Besides the obvious extractors, cai etc)
Dont get me wrong i love the look of twin throttles, however i would like to keep the insurance company in the dark about the mods, and with twin throttles i think it would make things difficult.

impressive

BARRP BARRRRRP
Reaction score
Website
www.supercharger.com.au
Members Ride
VT SS 5 litre
nah, u dont need to go for an aftermarker one, but the standard bananas are pretty restrictive unless worked on.
they bends in them are restrictive, and the way they are cast is rough.
it wont be good for 300kw, more realistically around the 250kw mark (And that may be pushing it).

i think theres some sort of work that involves cleaning up the intakes with some acid (it smoothes out the imperfections). dont know who does it, or if its even worth it.

people have gotten **** loads of power out of these engines, comes down to the age old formula $+$ = mumbo.

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
It definetly sounds like i am better off just biting the bullet and go aftermarket, do you know of any aftermarket single throttle manifolds that look similar to the stock one, that will handle the power im looking 4??

impressive

BARRP BARRRRRP
Reaction score
Website
www.supercharger.com.au
Members Ride
VT SS 5 litre
sorry mate...cant say i do, the only stock looking ones that flow better ARE stock ones that have had extrude honing or something of the like done.
would insurance really bite u that much on it?
im with just cars, and all they charge is $75 one off fee for as many road worthy mods u can throw at them.

Edit: i think i remember seeing an extrude honed intake on the kalmaker website (some 5 litre their ecu runs), maybe get in contact with them?

cheers

Last edited:
B

Blownvsute

Bit of a choice you've got there vtss5spd...
COME base there HP/KW power at the flywheel, so allowing for drivetrain losses you are probably going to need around 270kw to make 200kw at the rears, add to that an exhaust to match and a clutch (if not a new gearbox,ie 6speed) to handle the power and it can get pretty expensive....
Forced induction technology has come a long way and with engine management, boost is now very freindly to the enviroment (EPA) :) and there are a few kits around that can be ADR Certified. Capa do a few of these and a place over here in West Oz, http://www.marksworkshop.com.au/Pages/mws.htm ,does an excellent Eaton kit. I have a stage 2 Eaton kit on me ute and with 350hp (260kw) at the rears it is pretty good bang for buck on a totally stock 5litre. It's well mannered and me missus drives it all the time. The stroker in me GTS is the other end of the spectrum with a worked 355 stroker complete with lumpy idle and heavy clutch and box, it pigroots at low speed and is not very missus friendly :D .
Have you thought about rebuilding your 5 litre with boost friendly internals (Forgies, H Beams, ARP Stud/Bolt kit,etc) and then running either NOS, Turbo's or Supercharger down the track when you've saved a bit more cash...
Anyway, interested to hear your thoughts and here's a couple of links to some info on extrude honing the 'ol bunch of banana's, apparently only costs around 800 bucks to do yours and mated with Perfectune's (Yella Terra) new 71mm throttlebody would probably yield some good results....
http://www.aussiev8.com.au/showthread.php?t=1360&highlight=abrasive
http://www.abrasiveflow.com/first.htm

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
impressive said:
sorry mate...cant say i do, the only stock looking ones that flow better ARE stock ones that have had extrude honing or something of the like done.
would insurance really bite u that much on it?
im with just cars, and all they charge is $75 one off fee for as many road worthy mods u can throw at them.

Edit: i think i remember seeing an extrude honed intake on the kalmaker website (some 5 litre their ecu runs), maybe get in contact with them?

cheers[/Q

Thanks for that mate, im defenitely looking elsewhere then nrma next time insurance comes around. They have been a major pain in the ass, just cars sounds sweet.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
Thanks for that mate, im defenitely looking elsewhere then nrma next time insurance comes around. They have been a major pain in the ass, just cars sounds sweet.[/QUOTE]

i think that STARR racing makes changover manifolds that look no diff from stock but flow twice as much air.... but if your adventurous (like me) you can do some port and polishing cos mine flows 350 cfm more than the standard 600 and it only cost me the price of a grinding bit for my die grinder

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
Blownvsute said:
Bit of a choice you've got there vtss5spd...
COME base there HP/KW power at the flywheel, so allowing for drivetrain losses you are probably going to need around 270kw to make 200kw at the rears, add to that an exhaust to match and a clutch (if not a new gearbox,ie 6speed) to handle the power and it can get pretty expensive....
Forced induction technology has come a long way and with engine management, boost is now very freindly to the enviroment (EPA) :) and there are a few kits around that can be ADR Certified. Capa do a few of these and a place over here in West Oz, http://www.marksworkshop.com.au/Pages/mws.htm ,does an excellent Eaton kit. I have a stage 2 Eaton kit on me ute and with 350hp (260kw) at the rears it is pretty good bang for buck on a totally stock 5litre. It's well mannered and me missus drives it all the time. The stroker in me GTS is the other end of the spectrum with a worked 355 stroker complete with lumpy idle and heavy clutch and box, it pigroots at low speed and is not very missus friendly :D .
Have you thought about rebuilding your 5 litre with boost friendly internals (Forgies, H Beams, ARP Stud/Bolt kit,etc) and then running either NOS, Turbo's or Supercharger down the track when you've saved a bit more cash...
Anyway, interested to hear your thoughts and here's a couple of links to some info on extrude honing the 'ol bunch of banana's, apparently only costs around 800 bucks to do yours and mated with Perfectune's (Yella Terra) new 71mm throttlebody would probably yield some good results....
http://www.aussiev8.com.au/showthread.php?t=1360&highlight=abrasive
http://www.abrasiveflow.com/first.htm

I have thought about supercharging, cause power increases look very, very impressive.
But i couldnt find out how much these kits come installed.
Also like you said i need to get forgies, rods etc. (i have 210000km)
I would definetly look into it, ( looking at your power figures, 260kw at the wheels!!! whooa!!) However dont know how much it would cost me to get this sort of work done.
What do you reckon it would cost me to get the first part of the build done, (minus blower) and what sort of price are they eaton kits going 4 installed?
Your set up sounds awesome!! but i would want it to be reliable and not blow up my engine.
Cheers