Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

World Record Speeding Fine

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I personally think it is a great idea. Not just coz I haven't been able to find work for a while, and got a nasty fine last month. But it might actually make some of the rich guys respond more to the laws (despite how crap most of them are), you know, the guys in expensive euro cars speeding massively in the inner city. Obviously they don't care about the fine.

But that fine is awesome, Yes you were caught speeding, that will be a fine for $299 000 and 4 demerit points :)

Yes, because I see so many euro's speeding around in comparison to commodores, fords, hyundais etc. Clearly you do not care about the fine, as evidence in your post by getting one...

Anwyll

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina V6
Whether to means test speeding fines is an interesting argument.

Basically, it depends on whether you consider the necessary role of the fine to produce a degree of punishment and 'sting' regardless of what you earn, obviously set amount fines graduated along a basis of how far over the limit you were caught won't achieve this. If the financial repercussions of being caught speeding are to be consistent across the wealth range then a fine proportional to your total wealth is exactly what is required (or other indirect means tests could be used like car seizure laws but they're not without issues, like the Perth GP who had his Ferrari confiscated even though his mechanic was the driver, not that our Liberal party saw an issue with this). However, the minimum amount must remain prohibitive to everyone, you can't just have someone who is basically worth the cash in their pocket, driving a bunky car (which in all seriousness should be defected but they never are) be given a $2 fine because that is all they're worth.

So it is a bit of a balance, however I'm not sure Australia would ever take on such a principle, even states like NSW with their immense fines (although it could be beneficial to their current financial state, kind of like California considering legalising and taxing marijuana). I'm not even sure it would be a policy worth implementing, my gut feeling is the probability someone speeds is inversely proportional to their total wealth (the less wealthy you are the less likely you will be to stick to the limit) although it wouldn't be a particularly strong relationship, even after accounting for other factors such as gender and age. I'm not sure if someone has done that research though, wouldn't be surprised if it has been done.

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
Are you saying if you murder someone you should get less time for having less income?

To be honest I think I'd get a harsher penalty for speeding than murder the way things are panning out...

My argument may have come across better if I had worded it as well as Anwyll up there. The point of the fine isn't supposed to be about the money, rather the "sting" (as he puts it) that the punishment carries. My personal opinion anyway. Don't get caught speeding excessively and you won't have to worry about it.

Last edited:

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
Yes, because I see so many euro's speeding around in comparison to commodores, fords, hyundais etc. Clearly you do not care about the fine, as evidence in your post by getting one...

Well, nearly every time I go to melbourne I see one, Yes I also see normal cars speeding around, but the expensive ones seem to care less and just do what they were going to do without thinking about the potential fine (to be fair they tend to only do "bursts of speed" but still way above the limit). Could it be the fact also that euros are less common than the commodores, fords, hyundais perhaps?

And the fine I got wasn't for speeding or anything, I just got a cop who was having a really bad day and decided to put the full force of his law onto me. A graduated fine system would help in all situations where a fine is incurred. Of course there needs to be a minimum set amount no matter what.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Wouldn't work effectively here with all the dole bludgers who claim full benefits plus work full time cash in hand jobs. Some of those trippers are on $50+ a year, but never pay a cent tax or declare it. On paper they look poor but actually live a good lifestyle. What about those that have creative accounting skills so again on paper at tax time they appear to be low to middle income earners?

kane88

Reaction score
Members Ride
bf xr6 daily, vl project, wb ute project
Fair call there...
Hmm

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
It's a great idea. Means testing for everything is the way to go. Might stamp out some of the attitude we see towards authority.

Right on comrade :thumbsup:

Reaper

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Wouldn't work effectively here with all the dole bludgers who claim full benefits plus work full time cash in hand jobs. Some of those trippers are on $50+ a year, but never pay a cent tax or declare it. On paper they look poor but actually live a good lifestyle. What about those that have creative accounting skills so again on paper at tax time they appear to be low to middle income earners?

Or creative accountants. I now no longer get paid wages. My taxable income has gone from over 100k p/a, to under 40k p/a. Fantastic setup. All legal too. Regardless of this, graduated penalties based on what you earn/own is stupid. Is the crime worse because you earn more? Hell no, it is the same crime and as such should carry the same penalty. generally those who think these systems are a good idea are those who are on the lower end of the bracket.

Nanos

Not a Mod
Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII LS1 Berlina Wagon
this does not happen very often but im with minux on this one.

Just because i work hard and get paid well is no reason why i should get fined more. I am sick and tired of this whole system where the less you work and get paid means the more benifits you get.

All those in favor of it obviously dont work or dont have much in the way of responsibiltys such as kids. I work my arse off to get paid like a i do. Most days are 15hours im currently on holidays but yet find myself working from home catching up on things. Yes i get paid well but thats because i work hard not so i can afford to be fined or pay more in other things. I do this so i can try and create a good life for my family.

Instead about whinging that you got a massive fine because you did something wrong and cant afford it. How about work harder or get a second job and just suck it up.

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
this does not happen very often but im with minux on this one.

Just because i work hard and get paid well is no reason why i should get fined more. I am sick and tired of this whole system where the less you work and get paid means the more benifits you get.

All those in favor of it obviously dont work or dont have much in the way of responsibiltys such as kids. I work my arse off to get paid like a i do. Most days are 15hours im currently on holidays but yet find myself working from home catching up on things. Yes i get paid well but thats because i work hard not so i can afford to be fined or pay more in other things. I do this so i can try and create a good life for my family.

Instead about whinging that you got a massive fine because you did something wrong and cant afford it. How about work harder or get a second job and just suck it up.

Plus One!.. Couldn't have said it any better myself to be honest.