Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worst cold running car around.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Coolant Temp Sensor sounds the go....running lean when cold.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Im gonna test it when I purchase the multimetere!
It says that the Coolant Temp sensor when throw a code.
Thats what I think from the manual.
If it's none of the sensors, I may need to renew my ECU... Supposibly says that in the manual.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok... Another idea thrown at me by the guys at AutObarn.
Could it be the Crank Angle Sensor?

LeaThaL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 1 sedan
i cant say 100% so it may be, but i cant see how it could personally, and as for autobahn, as much as i loooove their prices on commodore parts, i went in there and said my engine shakes on idle as i think the mount is torn and he said crank angle sensor, they just seem to love that part :p

but as i said i dont know much about how commodore ecus work so there is a chance it is.

nugatory

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive S1 Station Wagon
It's probably one of the coil packs going faulty. mine started doing this after I did a motor swap and I replaced the spark plugs and it ran real good once then when I started it next time, the problem was back. I replaced the entire DFI Module (Ignition Module) and coil packs from my original motor because they were newer and it fixed the problem entirely.

Yours may not be this serious though as I'm pretty sure my problem was just a faulty coil but I was lazy and also wanted my newer igition coil back on the motor.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Look for clues before spending your hard earned $$$$..
I'd screw the plugs out and inspect - if one or more have dirty black deposits on them it may indicate that the lead or coil to that plug is bad. It may also indicate the inlet manifold or head gasket is leaking...sometimes the only sign will be a miss which gets worse with time.
Other things which may give a clue: using coolant, oil colour/smell, oily deposit on radiator cap, milky deposit under oil cap, fuel consumption increasing, injectors tapping noisily, hard to start, spitting from exhaust pipe, all vacuum hoses check for splits etc etc.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
i cant say 100% so it may be, but i cant see how it could personally, and as for autobahn, as much as i loooove their prices on commodore parts, i went in there and said my engine shakes on idle as i think the mount is torn and he said crank angle sensor, they just seem to love that part :p

but as i said i dont know much about how commodore ecus work so there is a chance it is.

Well, I went to ask Troy (Hakhawk) and a mate from there about it and they told me it may be the CAS.
If the CTS, IAC and everything comes into spec, the manual says that it will be that the ECU is faulty.

It's probably one of the coil packs going faulty. mine started doing this after I did a motor swap and I replaced the spark plugs and it ran real good once then when I started it next time, the problem was back. I replaced the entire DFI Module (Ignition Module) and coil packs from my original motor because they were newer and it fixed the problem entirely.

Yours may not be this serious though as I'm pretty sure my problem was just a faulty coil but I was lazy and also wanted my newer igition coil back on the motor.

Could it actually do that if it goes fine when warm?, sometimes it will start perfectly fine, like it did a couple days ago and it was cold/overcast.

Look for clues before spending your hard earned $$$$..
I'd screw the plugs out and inspect - if one or more have dirty black deposits on them it may indicate that the lead or coil to that plug is bad. It may also indicate the inlet manifold or head gasket is leaking...sometimes the only sign will be a miss which gets worse with time.
Other things which may give a clue: using coolant, oil colour/smell, oily deposit on radiator cap, milky deposit under oil cap, fuel consumption increasing, injectors tapping noisily, hard to start, spitting from exhaust pipe, all vacuum hoses check for splits etc etc.

It uses coolant, no oily deposits on radiator cap, no milky deposits on oil cap, it gets roughly 450k's to a tank, it does have a bit of noise in the engine, Hard to start, obviously, doesnt seem to spit in the exhaust.

Possibly afm

What does AFM mean?

Sorry for the late reply guys!

ORIXVywags

Max stunners on the train
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Acclaim,VR Acclaim,VS Ute,VS Berlina Wagon
Ive been in the same situation in a my old Manual VS Ute,

you couldnt touch the Acclerator till the engine was warm,

I did everything Coils, Spark plugs and Leads, Fuel Pressure Reg,

Last thing was the CTS, then it was fine, I would have a crack at that

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmm. Mate put the thing that reads errors into the car (forgot what ya call it) and found out that the ignition gets low voltage. Can this affect the starting of the car? How can I fix this?