Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

worth it or not

Brett McRae

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX series 2 S-pack Auto 3.8
just thought i would revive the forum and get some more people's thoughts, still thinking about getting the car, as it is still available, if i do get it what are some things to do as it hasn't been started in about 2.5 years, should i just make sure it has oil and coolant then give it a reali good service after she is all up and running. i am thinking of offering $1000 cash and if he declines offer $1500 cash.

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
just thought i would revive the forum and get some more people's thoughts, still thinking about getting the car, as it is still available, if i do get it what are some things to do as it hasn't been started in about 2.5 years, should i just make sure it has oil and coolant then give it a reali good service after she is all up and running. i am thinking of offering $1000 cash and if he declines offer $1500 cash.

Can't really loose at $1500

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Probably dump the oil before startup, put a cheapish oil in there while your getting it running right, then dump it again when she's all sweet and put some good stuff in

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
yep change the oil and filter, flush the cooling system and add new coolant, plugs and leads, probably need new tyres if it hasn't moved for 2.5 years and get brakes and wheel bearings checked and take it easy for the first 1000km's or so.
for $1500 you'd do well even if it needs a bit of work, $2500-$3500 for a car with Km's like that and in good running order and is tidy.

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
$3000? Tell him hes dreaming, I can pick up a VT for around that with rego. I reckon $1500 would be pushing it. Put it this way I picked up a 2002 Series 2 VX S Pac, Manual mind you with only 115, 000 on the clock for $6500, body and kit is in perfect condition and the interior is like it was rolled out of the showroom. So you tell me is it worth it? Lol

Brett McRae

Reaction score
Members Ride
that $3000 was nearly 12 months ago and i was enquiring on behalf of a friend.

Longman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0 Auto
Hi mate,

personally I wouldn't do it, not for an early series 1 VT with alarm bells ringing, well, maybe for 1K. Unless you can get them to put a fuel pump in and get the thing running. Remember you would have to add on top of the pump price for a blue slip, CTP, rego, insurance, so there's another wad. Also, you are only going on their word that it only needs a fuel pump. If the cars been sitting that long, who knows what else has deteriorated. They put a new fuel tank in, but what about the fuel lines/injectors/rails? Have they got bad fuel in them? who knows. Too many questions unless you're prepared to do the work.

Brett McRae

Reaction score
Members Ride
My intension of buying this car is to fix it up, do u think 1k or even 1.5k is reasonable?

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
yes it is very reasonable for $1000-$1500 ring a wreckers and see what they would pay for it and tell the seller then add a bit on top to sweeten it, don't go over $1500. Its going to need money spent on it maybe $2000 as a worse case is what it could cost to get back on the road (will be less if you can do allot of the work yourself though) plus the cost of the car, tell the seller that too.

if he says no just keep looking for something else theres running cars people want to get rid of

Brett McRae

Reaction score
Members Ride
I might be goin to look at the car this weekend, what is the bet way to check if the aircon still work's cos the car will only run for about 10 seconds, should I just turn the ignition on turn the aircon on then start it and If the fans and the compressor engage does that mean the system is fine?