Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth replacing spare's tyre?

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
Hey all,

Recently had a flat and swapped over to my spare wheel. Pretty sure the thing's never been used though since the car came from the factory (usual new tyre issues which went away after a few km). So that's 9 years.

Is it worth replacing the spare's tyre or should it be right considering I'm only ever using it in emergencies?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's been in the boot so no sun exposure, it will be fine.

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
Sweet cheers.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It's been in the boot so no sun exposure, it will be fine.

I'd be throwing it away, not keeping it, regardless that it has sat in the boot for 9 years out of the elements. Lost count of the number of tyre failures because of age, even though they have sat in the boot

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Every couple of years when you buy new tyres, roate the spare into the mix (assuming they're the same brand/model of tyre) and then you have a spare thats np more than a few years old.

Other option is when you destroy a tyre, buy two replacements and pop them on the same axle and pull the good, half worn tyre and pop it in the boot.

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
Other option is when you destroy a tyre, buy two replacements and pop them on the same axle and pull the good, half worn tyre and pop it in the boot.
With all the construction going on in Sydney I'll be lucky to have a tyre on my spare for more than a few months! Think I've had 3 screws in my tyres since the start of the year.

Thanks for the responses all, I'll probably leave the tyre on till I've gotta go swap over the rest of the tyres.

fxxxrr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL statesman FX holden EH holden
god dunno how you guys drive, destroying tyres, screws in tyres etc ,
Im a tradie and spend almost all day everyday either driving or on site, theres as much contruction here in brissy as elsewhere im sure,
i havent destroyed a tyre or had a screw in one for 10 yrs or more,

maybe im just lucky LOL

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
god dunno how you guys drive, destroying tyres, screws in tyres etc ,
Im a tradie and spend almost all day everyday either driving or on site, theres as much contruction here in brissy as elsewhere im sure,
i havent destroyed a tyre or had a screw in one for 10 yrs or more,

maybe im just lucky LOL

Foreign material in a tyre is a luck of the draw thing.....Destroying a tyre....Lower profile stuff is more prone to being deemed unrepairable, easier than the higher profile stuff....Reason being, higher profile stuff is easier to pick up it is going flat....With the lower profile stuff, by the time you pick up it's going flat, it's generally stuffed....