Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Worth tuning on 91RON?

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
470rwkw Twin Turbo VE SS-V
Hey,

I'm looking to get a bit more serious with my mods on my 6-litre L98 VE SS-V (auto 6-speed) but only thing holding me back from doing so is knowing that eventually I have to get a tune.

The tune itself isn't what I'm worried about (own a 300rwkw R33 GTS-t so getting things tuned is nothing new to me LOL), but more so I do long distance driving for work and have been given a fuel card. This fuel card only applies to Shell regular unleaded (91RON) or E10 fuel.

So my question is, is it completely pointless in getting a tune for 91RON or E10? I want to get some 4-1 headers and hi-flow cats but can't do so without a tune :(

Ideas?

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
I'm actually wanting to here back from Walkinshaw about options of sorts...

My SS-V can run all types of fuel currently, which includes E10 & E85. Although I would generally use 98 or E85, I would like to maintain the flexibility especially when on the road.

Will post up my findings once I hear back from Walkinshaw :)

turbodragon

Reaction score
Members Ride
470rwkw Twin Turbo VE SS-V
No worries at all mate, let me know how you go. I've got the Series 1 SS-V so can't run E85 so it's either E10 or regular 91RON unleaded.

Just need to know if it's even worth going down the extractors and cats path if I get a regular unleaded 91RON tune with them. If it helps, the tune will still be MAF equipped (apparently the MAF on the VE 6litres aren't as restrictive as the earlier models).

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Don't bother. You've got a toy car with the R33.

Use the SS as a daily.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
The RON is also known as the Knock Number, running premium fuel does not necessarily equal more power. You SHOULD run the lowest RON that your car will run without pinging, this will get the greatest power an economy from your car.

The only advantage of the premium fuels is the additives in the 98's - which are for friction modifying and cleaning. These additives are not in all 98RONs, only those as advertised, like Ultimate and V Power.

Whatever your cars book says to run, you should run at the lowest RON, the VE is rated at 91RON but with flex fuel technology can also run eFuels. Many mid range European cars specify minimum 95RON, this is because the timing advance is set up to the range that allows for a minimum of 95RON fuel, whereas the Commodore is set up to accept 91RON.

You certainly are not going to damage your engine, nor sacrifice power or economy by tuning on garden variety 91RON. eFuel however may be hard to keep a tune on as although it is strictly monitored for is specification range pre delivery, post delivery it goes to mank and specs vary wildly due to temperature, water in the tank being absorbed by the fuel and other contaminants. It may be ok for mums shopping trolley, but if you are going to the trouble and expense of a tune for you weapon, I'd steer clear of eFuel and stick to the 91, or if so obsessed, the 98 with the additive of your choice.

Also, there is nothing stopping you from adding your own additives in, like cleaners, friction modifiers etc in the form of Wynns or the like on top of your 91 fill. If you do the maths, it probably works out cheaper to do it that way rather than be lazy and get the 'pre mix' 98 at the pump.

FWIW I saw 91RON ULP today for $1.58 per litre in Melbourne today, 98 must be near the $2 mark!

al..

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Series 2 ss
I no its a old post lol

But im also in the same situation I been given a fuel card that can only run 91ron. My car is a VE series 2 ss only 55k.....
So are you saying running 91 wont hurt my car considering my VE is flex fuel?? and how can you tell if that knocking (ping) occurs? its sates on my car and also on the internet it can run 91, 95,98 e85, but people just ohh I woudnt run 91 :(

VBhero

Reaction score
Website
www.australia4wd.com
Members Ride
VXII SS A4
If the ping is bad enough you will hear it.

If it is only minor ping, the only way to know if it is happening is to log the KR PID using a scan tool as far as I know