Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Would leaking injectors cause a miss? (Holden VS)

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS Acclaim & 1992 Holden Barina
Why dont you do what Moggy said, Its not hard to do will take you 20 minutes maybe tops to do, Just change them around atleast you'll know thats what wrong with it before spending money.

I failed to mention this, but I tested the connections to those injectors and there was a pulse (with a light tester). This should be enough to indicate that it is working on those connections??

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
If the problem started just after you ran out of fuel, I'd be suspecting that you have sucked in some contamination (eg. water, dirt) from the fuel tank into the fuel lines. First thing to do would be to replace the fuel filter and pour about 500ml of methylated spirits into the fuel tank and see how things go from there. Some injector cleaner could also help if that doesn't work.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
I agree, it was only like in the first 10 mins after adding more fuel (Put in about $30 worth) I supected that the injectors were clogged up due to crap in the tank, did not think water would be in there.
Anyway this week I will be getting a new fuel filter among many other things and even try the metho :) I will get some injector cleaner as well.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok I have replaced the fuel filter and added some Metho lol... it now seems to be much worse... It seems to have plenty of revs without moving all that much and now seems to miss on two cylinders. I am now stumped...

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id just replace the injectors with the new ones in the above link if yours are more than a few years old.Id replace the fuel filter as they are only cheap anyway,Id also blow the fuel lines out with compressed air,and Id check the fuel pump pickup strainer in the fuel tank to make sure its not blocked up with rubbish,and also check the bottom of the tank itself for dirt etc whilst the fuel pump is out of the tank..You could just get the fuel pressure tested which should show up any problems with the fuel systems.
I always replace my fuel filter every 5000 km or every oil and oil filter change.With fuel filters being so cheap to buy,and easy to replace,why wouldnt you replace them heaps often..

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I'm not sure that it will fix any problem but I think that it's worth commenting that rather than add methylated spirits - which is not guaranteed to be free from water - in a low concentration, in an effort to remove any water from the fuel tank, it's better to run a tank (or two) of E10 though the system.

E10 is (almost) guaranteed to be free from water and ~60l of E10 will have (up to) 6l of the ethanol that co-dissolves the water and HC fuel components.

Adding E10 is also cheaper and easier.

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Id just replace the injectors with the new ones in the above link if yours are more than a few years old.Id replace the fuel filter as they are only cheap anyway,Id also blow the fuel lines out with compressed air,and Id check the fuel pump pickup strainer in the fuel tank to make sure its not blocked up with rubbish,and also check the bottom of the tank itself for dirt etc whilst the fuel pump is out of the tank..You could just get the fuel pressure tested which should show up any problems with the fuel systems.
I always replace my fuel filter every 5000 km or every oil and oil filter change.With fuel filters being so cheap to buy,and easy to replace,why wouldnt you replace them heaps often..

I agree Brett, I feel these injectors could be the original ones from factory lol I replaced the fuel filter yesterday and after that I added a $25 fuel system cleaner (Not sure I can say product name here) which seems to have improved things. It now idles much better but still misses under load.

So I am going to replace the injectors very soon, plus the oxygen sensors, not sure what else at this stage...

James39

Gave up on VL's
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm not sure that it will fix any problem but I think that it's worth commenting that rather than add methylated spirits - which is not guaranteed to be free from water - in a low concentration, in an effort to remove any water from the fuel tank, it's better to run a tank (or two) of E10 though the system.

E10 is (almost) guaranteed to be free from water and ~60l of E10 will have (up to) 6l of the ethanol that co-dissolves the water and HC fuel components.

Adding E10 is also cheaper and easier.

Heard bad things about E10 so I avoid it...

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Heard bad things about E10 so I avoid it...

But you are fine with adding metho? (Post #14).

My point is that if you are going to add ethanol (i.e. methylated spirits = ethanol + water? + denaturing substance) you would be better to do it using the E10 instead.

I think that you will find that Shell V-Power also has 5% ethanol in it and you are apparently fine with using that.

I note that you only noticed a problem after using the V-Power (Post #6). Ethanol can lift some types of residue from inside the fuel system. It depends where it's from and where it ends up but this may be why you now have the problem.

It's only a one off thing so once any residue is removed - by changing fuel filter, maybe flush injectors etc. - it won't re-occur.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The metho allows small amounts of water in the fuel tank to mix in with the fuel so it can be pumped through the fuel filter,through to the engine, and burnt off in the combustion process,so any water thats already mixed with the metho before you put it in the fuel tank, will just mix straight in with the fuel and will be burned off anyway..The metho trick has been used for years.I can remember old blokes talking about it when I was a young bloke many moons ago.