Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Would you buy a VYII or VZ for the same price ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Its time to replace the VS with either a VY series 2 or a VZ.
I have found a nice example of each, same colour, same price , same k's. The difference basically comes down to Ecotec or Alloytec. Which would you buy ?
I'm after Reliability, Economy, and long life.
Are the servicing costs much more for a VZ?

VSHeaven

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
The ecotech has a proven track record. The alloytech can suffer from the 3 timing chains needing replacement if it hasn't been serviced at the specified intervals, so this is something to look out for. also, I find the alloytech somewhat noisy compared to the ecototech. If i had your choice I would go the VY (plus it looks better in the front IMO).

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
i had the same choice 12 months ago and i went with the series 2 vy,i asked a few mechanics etc they all said go vy due to ecotec being around alot longer,cheaper to fix etc plus i liked vy's better anyway.
im not saying the vz is rubbish,far from it,just going on what i was told

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
An Alloytec in good shape is probably my vote, although I may be a bit biased.
Is it Auto or Manual? The manual gearbox in the VZ is different to the VY one I believe, its a lot better. Plus its 6sp as opposed to 5sp for the VY S

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Both are auto's. Had a look at the VZ today and a drive, goes like a rocket which surprised me after some of the bagging i've read on here about the 175. The only BAD thing about it is it has next to no service history whatsoever!!! some story about how it always got serviced on another cars bill .... but the oil looked clean and no other problems i could see. Could there be much wrong with an Alloytech thats done less than 80 000K's ? Biggest question is what kind of nut case buys a brand new car and keeps no service records ? The warranty would be totally screwed..

hsv_timo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Yea sounds a bit shonky id go the VY 2 ecotec alot easier to work on and the proven

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Both are auto's. Had a look at the VZ today and a drive, goes like a rocket which surprised me after some of the bagging i've read on here about the 175. The only BAD thing about it is it has next to no service history whatsoever!!! some story about how it always got serviced on another cars bill .... but the oil looked clean and no other problems i could see. Could there be much wrong with an Alloytech thats done less than 80 000K's ? Biggest question is what kind of nut case buys a brand new car and keeps no service records ? The warranty would be totally screwed..

The oil may look clean because they could have serviced it and flushed it out a bit. That means nothing. I'd buy an older car with service history over a newer car without.

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Go for the VZ, the alloytec is bulletproof and It's better in technology, power, economy. My ute had 125000kms on it when I bought it, nothing bad to report yet. I drove it to Queensland and back and it was flawless. It gets about 12.00L/100kms in the city and 8L/100kms on the highway at 100kph. I could reccommend nothing else after having such a good engine.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
Go for the VZ, the alloytec is bulletproof and It's better in technology, power, economy. My ute had 125000kms on it when I bought it, nothing bad to report yet. I drove it to Queensland and back and it was flawless. It gets about 12.00L/100kms in the city and 8L/100kms on the highway at 100kph. I could reccommend nothing else after having such a good engine.

um? who told you that? theres some problems with those engines, such as the timing chains tend to **** themselves pretty quick.