Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Would you buy a VYII or VZ for the same price ?

hsv_timo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
VZ all the way. The Alloytec has proved itself to be quite a good little motor - besides the VZ looks a bit better.
The only thing the Alloytec has proved is that it has a little more power and the timing chains dont hold on for to long

berowra_vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
VY for sure mate, as stated before, the Alloytech timing chains have some problems.

the_trademarc

The Cult Of Personality
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Members Ride
E-Series 1 Clubsport R8
I would still be weary of buying a car with no service history. You're asking for trouble by doing that.
Do an NRMA Vehicle Inspection before you buy any car, really, it will show up whether the car is in good nick for its whole life, or just since its been on sale.

VN Lukey

BT1, the way to go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VN S1
hi guys, im in the same situation atm, but either VX-VT supercharged V6 or VZ
are the VZ timing chains expensive to change?

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
The only thing the Alloytec has proved is that it has a little more power and the timing chains dont hold on for to long

Right... because the old shock-o-tec donk never fails either. I know of at least 20 people with VZ's where the biggest problem was the wiper blade changeover, Meanwhile i know others in Vt-vy's changing harmonic balancers, ignition modules various sensors and BCM's
I've got an ecotec and I'm happy to say that the alloytec is a better motor.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Right... because the old shock-o-tec donk never fails either. I know of at least 20 people with VZ's where the biggest problem was the wiper blade changeover, Meanwhile i know others in Vt-vy's changing harmonic balancers, ignition modules various sensors and BCM's

why must we pay out each engine, both engines have there goods and bads

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)

alloytecs seem to have more expensive problems the ecotecs are older and cheaper to fix/replace, proven reliability.

alloytecs need servicing more often than recommended despite what holden tell you 15000 ks without a service is not acceptable

svsex

big blue
Reaction score
Members Ride
190 sv6
holden says alot of things