Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Would you need forged internals for a 355 running between 6lb to a max of 10lb (maybe

Tassiepatrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan patrol (304ci)
Hello made the decission to stroke my 304 in my 4wd station wagon (Nissan GQ)

Plan is (have the charger ) to run a side mount pd charger at 6LB to start with ( i know how addivctavie boost is) so infuter may up it to around the 8/10lb

would this kit do the job

Holden 304-308 5L - Scat 355 V8 stroker engine kit | eBay

or better of spending the extra $1000 on this one

Holden 304-308 5L Scat 355 V8 Forged stroker engine kit inc H-bean conrods | eBay

also at loss what cam to run and what is the better option

looking for good low to mid range performance while still keeping a little up top end

seeing as it is a 2.5 ton 4wd with 35" tyres not looking for massive top end speed, just beable to sit on 100kph and have acceleration with out dropping back gears (would be nice)

also who or what memcals or ecus would be a good option to suit

cheers lindon

Ps if there are any stuipd questions or missing info just say so as I am no engine builder or pretend to know much about what makes a good strong relible engine that performs

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Logic dictates a forged motor is better so wouldn't you? Even more so if your planning forced induction.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
what charger have you got as a PD chargers generally sit on top of the manifold :hmmm:

Tassiepatrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan patrol (304ci)
Logic dictates a forged motor is better so wouldn't you? Even more so if your planning forced induction.

You are correct, but there are plenty of standard bottom end 304's running boost from what you read on here...hence asking the question for those boost ranges is it a must as it may never see more than the 6lb that the current pulleys are set at, but then I also know what having a boosted engine can be like and you always get that little devil on your shoulder telling you, you need more power!! ...

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Get forged. Never have to worry about the bottom end. Simple.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Maybe grout fill a bit of the bottom of the block.

A forged bottom end isnt bullet proof. You can destroy one very easyily especially with a **** tune.

Personally i'd just get some forged rods and a decent set of hypa pistons and itll be plenty strong enough. Decent stroker crank will be necessary buy a good brand kit not a cheap one. I'd look art getting a low 8.5-9 comp piston as you'll wont be going for peak power just nice and strong down low with plenty of torque

Tassiepatrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan patrol (304ci)
i dunno if forged is necessary, would depend on the operating range and torque output, but for a 4bie i would STRONGLY advise 4 bolts or a gridle to keep the block straight.

Can I ask why you think being a 4wd it would be more prone to needing a girdle or 4 bolt mains

Tassiepatrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan patrol (304ci)
Maybe grout fill a bit of the bottom of the block.

A forged bottom end isnt bullet proof. You can destroy one very easyily especially with a **** tune.

Personally i'd just get some forged rods and a decent set of hypa pistons and itll be plenty strong enough. Decent stroker crank will be necessary buy a good brand kit not a cheap one. I'd look art getting a low 8.5-9 comp piston as you'll wont be going for peak power just nice and strong down low with plenty of torque

Both kits I lniked to seem decent quality they both run Scat cranks