Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wouldn't start when warm, now won't start at all

karwalski

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Excutive
It all started when I was getting the svs (service vehcile soon) message.
A search of the forums ruled it down to the oil pressure sensor.
So I replaced the sensor ($80) and did a mini service. I replaced the oil filter, the oil, the air filter, and the fuel filter...
I will come back to the fuel filter..
Before the service the car would miss as it was going up hills or under heavy acceleration. I first thought it was the gearbox, but another search of the forums ruled it down to the spark plugs.

Everything but the fuel filter was hassle free. When removing the plugs on the filter (should have done a forum search) I broke the "t" junction on the return fuel line assembly. Confused as to why there was a return from the filter, I figured that I could leave it disconnected infill I bought a new return line assembly.

With all but the return line ready to go, I started the car after a few tries. And took it for a 15km test drive. No issues, in fact the big hill which was making the car skip, was no longer making the car struggle. The svs message also disappeared.

Happy with the results. I used my car for the following week (80km a day) and noticed no issues. Until I parked the car after an hour drive, then tried to start it after 10 minutes of sitting. The car tried, and tried, and tried. I had fuel, I had spark, and I had compression. Eventually it flatten the battery. I waited about 30minutes, then it started on the second try. Over the next few days it would start if the engine was cold, but not even on a hot day.

So I replaced the return line assembly, which involved dropping the whole fuel tank. And now the car won't start at all. I can't smell the fuel like I could when it was hot.

I double checked all the plugs and lines. I even checked the air ducting between the air box and the throttle body. Only to find a heap of oil. Atleast 200mls!

Any ideas?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Probably your crankshaft sensor. You can find it in behind the harmonic balancer - front of the engine. They often fail when they get hot. When you have trouble starting the engine, pour a cup of cold water over the sensor and if it's the cause of the problem, the engine should start. Replace the crankshaft sensor.

karwalski

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Excutive
Fuel Pump

Turns out my fuel pump is stuffed, we connected the diagnostic computer tool to the car and found no logged errors.

Relay's and fuses for the pump are all ok, I will replaced the pump (whole assembly) on the weekend, i got quotes between $250 and $550 for the assembly, some dealers even with the same name quoted completly different pirces.

I have a feeling that the warm start problem will continue, So i will try that trick with the crank angle sensor if it still has warm start problems.

Shouldnt the crank angle sensor give an error?

Thanks

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Probably your crankshaft sensor. You can find it in behind the harmonic balancer - front of the engine. They often fail when they get hot. When you have trouble starting the engine, pour a cup of cold water over the sensor and if it's the cause of the problem, the engine should start. Replace the crankshaft sensor.

that works good if you own a ecotec, but crank angle sensors are totally different setup and a type thats not common to fail

Turns out my fuel pump is stuffed, we connected the diagnostic computer tool to the car and found no logged errors.

Relay's and fuses for the pump are all ok, I will replaced the pump (whole assembly) on the weekend, i got quotes between $250 and $550 for the assembly, some dealers even with the same name quoted completly different pirces.

I have a feeling that the warm start problem will continue, So i will try that trick with the crank angle sensor if it still has warm start problems.

Shouldnt the crank angle sensor give an error?

Thanks

i dare say you would have been over pressurising the fuel system, so would have lead to the failure

jaron88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1
im having this same problem, could it be my fuel pump that is stuffed....