Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wrecking and Disnmantling tips

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Hey guys,

I have been looking for alternative ways of making money after a motorbike accident and have decided to get into a bit of car wrecking and a few others things.

Was wondering if anyone had any advice for someone who wants to dismantle some cars. Any experiences, suggestions and advice would be much appreciated.

I obviously don't expect to make a million overnight but am simply looking for something to supplement my other incomes. I have the tools, the space, the cars and the motivation to work hard and smart!

Anyone have suggestions of good car's to keep an eye out to buy for wrecking. I would prefer to stick with Holden's but dont mind branching out a bit.

Cheers for any info guys!

(And YES i made a typo in the main Topic line - disnmantling??)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Sell parts cheap.
Most wreckers want 75% of the price of a new item these days. Things like steering racks sell if they're in good nick. Lights also.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Cheers for that soop. That's the plan! I'm definately not chasing anwhere near what a wrecker would.

I've noticed heaps of people chasing diff's, alternators and shifter boots etc. Can't get over how much some of the stupid parts are going for. For example - manual shifter boot from vl (crappy plastic bit around the shifter) - bids over $150 on ebay with time left and buy it now for $220. Thats craziness!

My goal is to be able to get enough holden parts so whenever i bust a part i have got a few spares! Also to supply everyone with cheaper parts than the greedy dam wreckers.

On a side note, anyone getting rid of cheap wrecks please let me know! Picking up a flat bed truck over the next few weeks so will be capable of towing incapacitated cars!

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
a mate of mine wrecks cars on the side constantly he does pretty well out of it he always sticks with calais, statos any v8s and manual commys from vk to wh as its easier to sell these parts.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Cheers for the info mate, exactly what i was after

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
yeah try and stay away from executives etc as there is heaps of basic parts around that no one wants.ive got a heap of exec parts that just sit in the shed as they're not worth anything.thats not to say dont wreck any execs but i wouldnt constantly focus on them
i also know someone that is always wrecking cars and for example,the last car he had was a vs acclaim,i grabed a few things out of it that i needed and apart from that,he took the gearbox out,p/s front door and a couple of minor things and crushed the rest cause he reckons its not worth trying to sell anything else out of it

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Parts the break easily.. i know it sounds silly, but dash peices and all exterior lights, engine parts like afm, cas and so on. Especially with the older commodores, think of the things that will start to wear out after a decade or soe of use and keep them.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Cheers for the info guys! Will keep eyes out for damaged car's at police auctions etc. Im thinking of concentrating from vk to about vt at the moment unless something cheap comes along. Seems the car's between that era are easy enough to pickup complete but finding parts for them can sometimes be a pain in the rear!

Does anyone have a list sitting around of approximate parts prices (secondhand) by any chance? I have found the trickiest part is establishing a fair price for the buyer. I cannot base prices on wreckers or places like rare spares as they are criminally overpriced. I think the only way to do up a price list is based on what other people are selling parts for on forums but that can be a major task listing up all the prices. So any info on that would also be appreciated!

Cheers again guys

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
i know the local wreckers charges $1000 for a 5lt engine...whether thats a good price or not???

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
i know the local wreckers charges $1000 for a 5lt engine...whether thats a good price or not???

Bit rough i reckon! Price would depend on what state your in but it sounds like all wreckers everywhere are pretty overpriced. Plus they make you remove everything yourself! Can be painful when they don't let any power tools or compressed air tools on site at a lot of places.