Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Write off or Repair??

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
^until they get to paint.
Then they will use cheap **** and have it colour matched by a blind monkey.

My sisters ve has 3 different green paints on it. Stands out like crazy that it was crashed and repaired.

N

Natbart23

^until they get to paint.
Then they will use cheap **** and have it colour matched by a blind monkey.

My sisters ve has 3 different green paints on it. Stands out like crazy that it was crashed and repaired.
Oh wow. That sounds super annoying.

N

Natbart23

Original Equipment as in genuine parts, not cheap aftermarket replacements.
Is there much difference in the costs. I keep googling but I assume what shows to me is the aftermarket stuff.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Car is 2009 model and insured for $7700. Does anyone have any advice?
You don’t mention what model variant your car is (or I missed that fact).

I‘m also assuming you have an agreed value policy (and it’s not the insurance assessor that gave you that market value price of $7700).

Unfortunately, cars have gone up in asking price which may hit you in the pocket if your car is written off and you look for a similar replacement.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/holden/commodore/price/2009

Write off is normally done if the estimated repair costs reaches a defined % of the estimated vehicle replacement cost, normally 70% with some insurers.

Being that commodores have gone up in asking price, you could argue that the write off threshold should be based on the higher amount of maybe $9600 rather than the agreed value of $7700 as such. This should increase the repair budget before the write off threshold is reached from $5390 to $6720...

Of and if you push for repair, you’ve got to push for a good repair. That means you’ve got to be aware of what must be replaced and check that is is replaced by the repairer. Staying on the good side of the insurance assessor can be useful as he can help sort out issues if they occur. So you‘ve got to try and stay on top of what the repairer is actually doing. I’ve had some shocking repairs done and rejected delivery after carefully looking at the car. Don‘t be afraid of the repairer and assessor.

Hopefully the insurance company provide a lifetime repair guarantee which will go part way to ensuring the repair is done well, if it isn’t written off that is...

Guess you’ve got some research and thinking to do ;)

N

Natbart23

You don’t mention what model variant your car is (or I missed that fact).

I‘m also assuming you have an agreed value policy (and it’s not the insurance assessor that gave you that market value price of $7700).

Unfortunately, cars have gone up in asking price which may hit you in the pocket if your car is written off and you look for a similar replacement.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/holden/commodore/price/2009

Write off is normally done if the estimated repair costs reaches a defined % of the estimated vehicle replacement cost, normally 70% with some insurers.

Being that commodores have gone up in asking price, you could argue that the write off threshold should be based on the higher amount of maybe $9600 rather than the agreed value of $7700 as such. This should increase the repair budget before the write off threshold is reached from $5390 to $6720...

Of and if you push for repair, you’ve got to push for a good repair. That means you’ve got to be aware of what must be replaced and check that is is replaced by the repairer. Staying on the good side of the insurance assessor can be useful as he can help sort out issues if they occur. So you‘ve got to try and stay on top of what the repairer is actually doing. I’ve had some shocking repairs done and rejected delivery after carefully looking at the car. Don‘t be afraid of the repairer and assessor.

Hopefully the insurance company provide a lifetime repair guarantee which will go part way to ensuring the repair is done well, if it isn’t written off that is...

Guess you’ve got some research and thinking to do ;)
It’s just an 09 Omega.

$7700 is the market value on my policy.
Now I’m worried I won’t know what quality repairs look like.

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Get cars at work all the time like that which get written off

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
$7700 is the market value on my policy.
Normally there would be clear wording within your indicating it’s agreed value with a $ value listed. Otherwise there would be clear wording that it’s a market value policy which would not include a $ value. There is no such thing as a $7700 market value policy... This is not meant as a criticism of you, just something to clarify the two types of comprehensive insurance policies

Your policy will also have wording related to the quality of repair, parts used and if the insurance company provides a lifetime repair warranty.

It’s always good to thoroughly read your policy before you make a claim (best to read it before you buy the policy)as it allows you to frame the claim and any discussions to your advantage.

If you are happy with a $7700 payout - the $$ excess, and you’d prefer the car gets written off, sometimes you can achieve that by talking to the insurance assessor and make it known how good your car is and that you‘re concerned about the quality of repair and especially about the quality of paint and colour match that a repairer can achieve. If it’s close but not quite at write off, border line write off if you will, then a client with higher standards may be just enough to up the repair estimate to write it off.

Just keep in mind the principle is that the vehicle should be returned to pre accident condition which may be perfect body and interior with no squeaks or rattles and great mechanically.

N

Natbart23

Normally there would be clear wording within your indicating it’s agreed value with a $ value listed. Otherwise there would be clear wording that it’s a market value policy which would not include a $ value. There is no such thing as a $7700 market value policy... This is not meant as a criticism of you, just something to clarify the two types of comprehensive insurance policies

Your policy will also have wording related to the quality of repair, parts used and if the insurance company provides a lifetime repair warranty.

It’s always good to thoroughly read your policy before you make a claim (best to read it before you buy the policy)as it allows you to frame the claim and any discussions to your advantage.

If you are happy with a $7700 payout - the $$ excess, and you’d prefer the car gets written off, sometimes you can achieve that by talking to the insurance assessor and make it known how good your car is and that you‘re concerned about the quality of repair and especially about the quality of paint and colour match that a repairer can achieve. If it’s close but not quite at write off, border line write off if you will, then a client with higher standards may be just enough to up the repair estimate to write it off.

Just keep in mind the principle is that the vehicle should be returned to pre accident condition which may be perfect body and interior with no squeaks or rattles and great mechanically.
On the COC it states amount covered is $7700. So that was originally based on market value and depreciates each year.

I will definitely be having a good look over when/if it’s repaired.

thank you for your thorough advice.