Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Write Off? Possible repair costs? What do YOU think?

neon_crossing

Reaction score
Repair bill came in at $16,000!

Just shows you a little Toyota Echo can make a big bang.

Still waiting to hear back from the insuance company.

Could be a total loss, will know more in the coming days.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If its insured for $24k and the repair bill is $16k they might still write it off. I don't think I've ever seen a repair quote not blow out, insurance companies know this. Also a lot of insurers offer lifetime repair guarantees, and that is worth a few grand to them.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
If its insured for $24k and the repair bill is $16k they might still write it off. I don't think I've ever seen a repair quote not blow out, insurance companies know this. Also a lot of insurers offer lifetime repair guarantees, and that is worth a few grand to them.

Nah, a $16k quote is really a $8k job, if the repairer thinks it's going to be a write-off they'll find a way to bring it in under budget, because otherwise they get nothing. It's amazing what they can fix when they want to... The first question any panel shop will ask you is "insurance or private?". If the answer is "insurance" they just pick a number and double it.

CommVTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S pack
Nah, a $16k quote is really a $8k job, if the repairer thinks it's going to be a write-off they'll find a way to bring it in under budget, because otherwise they get nothing. It's amazing what they can fix when they want to... The first question any panel shop will ask you is "insurance or private?". If the answer is "insurance" they just pick a number and double it.

Completely agree with Danja, my mum had a really small accident in her 06 civic, basically all it needed was a new bumper and a dent in the bonnet to be popped out plus a few other really minor things. It cost the insurance company 6k. It's ridiculous.

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
The first question any panel shop will ask you is "insurance or private?". If the answer is "insurance" they just pick a number and double it.

thats funny you said that,everytime ive gone to a panel beater to ask about a respray etc,thats the first thing im asked

neon_crossing

Reaction score
Came in at a total loss.

Paid out $24,500 agreed value.

Make sure you change that insurance policy from market to agreed people, the offer if it was market value was only going to be $13,500, its worth paying the higher premiums year in year out for that value.

Replaced it with a VE Calais with the proceeds, 37,000km on the clock, 'crema' colour (that cream/buttery gold colour), schmick, $25,000.

Still have a soft spot for the VY II but the VE is growing on me!

neon_crossing

Reaction score
Repair job was quoted around the $16,000 mark.

Calais is proving a great car to drive, I am in love with the crema colour, I think i have seen one statesman in the colour once, never seen it elsewhere, puzzling why it isnt more popular, when I picked my calais up it was next to a sandstorm calais and it looked 10 times better and made the sandstorm one look 'washed out'.