Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WRX Gearbox whine

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Hey guys,

The other morning I was taking off from the lights and heard a whirring noise coming from the gearbox. I could only really notice it in first and second but heard it in third this morning. It is a whining noise that increases in sound as the RPM's climb.

The gearbox itself is functioning fine. No slippage, leaks or struggle to get in or out of gear. I checked fluid levels and all appears fine and not burnt.

I have spoken to one mechanic and he says that I may have bent some teeth??

Another mate of mine said that it could be a bearing in the box.

The vehicle is a 1995 wrx running slightly higher boost with 175000 on the clock. Original gearbox to best of my knowledge with no issues so far.

It has been suggested to put in Moreeaze gearbox additive (may be known as something else) to see if that alleviates the problem.

Any information or suggestions are very much appreciated. I am meant to be heading away to get married this weekend and unsure whether to take this vehicle in case I blow the box completely. Rebuilt is around 3k and it is just not worth it,
Thanks guys

TAS1981

Reaction score
How certain are you its the gear box?

In my version 1 STi I had a whine climbing and falling with revs and I assumed gearbix at first but actually it was the power steering pump. I am going to assume you have the original? Have a look at the bracket holding the reservoir, is it wet on the inside? They are a known problem and the seal breaks down. I got another off a lower milage car and replaced the seals and whining stopped.

Does it get louder on tick over when you turn the wheel while stationary?

PS if the leaks not that bad it should be fine for a while.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Hey mate, I just had the same thought when I was driving a second ago! It strangely sounds just like the Power steer.Will look into it asap and report back

thanks mate

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Ok, found that it IS the power steering pump. It appears to be squirting at hard lock and shooting it towards the tmic.

I cannot see under it for the life of me and work 50km from where I live. Will limp it home, stop for refills and rip the guts out of it this evening!

####ing cars

TAS1981

Reaction score
Ok, found that it IS the power steering pump. It appears to be squirting at hard lock and shooting it towards the tmic.

I cannot see under it for the life of me and work 50km from where I live. Will limp it home, stop for refills and rip the guts out of it this evening!

####ing cars

Try to just replace the o-ring first. Its cheap. To take the pump off and replace the o-ring is easy though can be messy...cannot remember...google on scoobynet a uk site..... Will probably work, you might as well replace the belt. If the pump still whines replace it - I just got one from a breakers. This was back in the uk...

These cars are pretty old now. I replaced the header tank that was plastic and had split to a later model metal one, I replaced the uppipe which was leaking and costing me boost, I cleaned the MAF with electrical cleaner, cleaned the IACV valve and I also needed to use a can of "top engine cleaner" to stop the thing pinging and retarding boost...but did not get round to this and high octane petrol solved the retarded boost issue mostly.

They have a lot going on the scooby engines, but great cars.

TAS1981

Reaction score
Just cos... Here's my old beast. In perfect condition sold for just £1550 in the UK before I left 2 years ago. :(

car-1-1.jpg

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Try to just replace the o-ring first. Its cheap. To take the pump off and replace the o-ring is easy though can be messy...cannot remember...google on scoobynet a uk site..... Will probably work, you might as well replace the belt. If the pump still whines replace it - I just got one from a breakers. This was back in the uk...

These cars are pretty old now. I replaced the header tank that was plastic and had split to a later model metal one, I replaced the uppipe which was leaking and costing me boost, I cleaned the MAF with electrical cleaner, cleaned the IACV valve and I also needed to use a can of "top engine cleaner" to stop the thing pinging and retarding boost...but did not get round to this and high octane petrol solved the retarded boost issue mostly.

They have a lot going on the scooby engines, but great cars.

Hey mate, cheers for the info. Yours looks very similar to mine cept mine is the wagon variant. Rare to find the same ones with the exact same front end and vents. Yours looks in amazing condition, bet you miss it. Such a fun little car for little cost. I have more fun in this than when I had a 6L V8.

I haven't had any issues at all with it other than busting the water pipe running under the manifold.

I've removed majority of the power steer pump but am stuck on two of the bolts at the bottom left of the pump. I will chuck some pics up soon. May have to remove radiator :(. Already ripped out the alternator and power steer reservoir and bracket. Need little hands on these cars!

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
8etygy7y.jpg
y4umapeq.jpg
4ujysuje.jpg

I'm stuck on the t4 and t5 bolt to the lower left of pump. Can't get spanner in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TAS1981

Reaction score
Have you tried swearing a lot?! ;)

Just try replacing the o-ring first. You might find this solves it without removing the whole pump. Should not need to take out rad anyway. Can't remember how I did it.

Yeah - Great fun cars. Mine was teh first version STI which had hand replaced toughened internals (allegedly), strut brace, STI bucket seats, intercooler waterspray, bigger TMIC, no uppipe cat, and a special ECU with an STI chip soldered in (designated an SA model ECU) and I added a sports cat.

I repaced that with a chip I had programmed to up the boost and map to 97RON fuel, I got a second hand ECU, soldered in an EEPROM chip socket, fitted chip, cut the J1 resistor...instant 300bhp. Magic! Better AFRs on a dyno than the original. At 1250kgs you bet it was fun!

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Success! Had to use a deep socket with hex key and pliers! Hard part will be locating replacement. The leak must be from the oring at back of pump
vynahabu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
zava9uze.jpg