Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WTF is wrong with my engin pullys (bearing)

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
hi, i replaced the pully bearings on my ecotec (there metal pullys so u can replace the bearings) anyway after about 500's they started squeeking again so i riped them off and found that the main pully (the one with the tensioner) and the other one (ribbebed on under coil pack) have ####ed bearings, so i replaced them with spars i had (bearings were fine in these as they were almost brand new from a vt i had) anyway drove a little over 300k's today and what ya know....there ####ed again. WTF!!!!!!!!!

i had to change the tensioner assembly when i replaced teh bearings the first time as the old one the mounting thread for the pully was striped but it has a good tension etc so i doubt it was that

also has a new belt aswell

so any ideas? the other pully that has the bigger bearing in it above the air con compresser is fine, it does have a slight wobble though? could this cause it?

seems like the bearings are being pitted inside as they feel really rough

Sescam94

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt stroker twin turbo
Have you checked the belt could be worn out or not sitting right also I had the same problem with mine and found my harmonic pulley seal was leaking some oil and was going on the belt after fixing that never had a problem

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
will chek it out, thanks

also been reading and have read it could be the idler tensioner assembly, as i replaced that the same time i did teh bearings, however seeing that the thread is striped way beyond repair is it posible to use a bolt and nut with spring washer and lock tight to hold teh pully on teh tensioner? or is that not adviseable. i cant see why not though

just dont wanna have fuced bearings as its tooo ####ing noisey lol, also the beainrs feel like there pitted when spun meaing whatever it is it dont sound nice lol

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
When I replaced the bearings in my metal pulleys, I found the pulley did not sit correctly when installed - maybe the new bearing is slightly different. I ended up using spacers to properly align the pulleys with the belt when viewed from the side. The wobble you say is on one pulley could be from the bearing incorrectly installed and cocked in the bore.
Try placing a straight edge (maybe a 300mm ruler) across the face of each pulley and eyeballing the it lines up with pulleys on either side....also eyeball belt installed from the side to ensure it runs in a straight line and no pulleys are out of line.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
will chek it out, thanks

also been reading and have read it could be the idler tensioner assembly, as i replaced that the same time i did teh bearings, however seeing that the thread is striped way beyond repair is it posible to use a bolt and nut with spring washer and lock tight to hold teh pully on teh tensioner? or is that not adviseable. i cant see why not though

just dont wanna have fuced bearings as its tooo ####ing noisey lol, also the beainrs feel like there pitted when spun meaing whatever it is it dont sound nice lol

Can you not get a heli-coil in there?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeh heli coils are a little dear for left threads. i cant see why i cant do it with a bolt and lock tight etc, as theres just enough room for it.

this is the only thing that i changed at the same time and then this has happen, i will try this bolt and the old tensioner (if it seems safe to do so) and see how they go if not then iot must be something else.

i have been told by a place that sells the tensioners and by the place that sold me the bearings that it could be the tension over tension the belt.....how the hell does that work? wouldn't the tensioner go soft and under tension the belt?

cheers

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
New tensioner.

No, really.

You've killed it. It's screaming for a bin.

Do it properly. It's called foresight.

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Just imagine it coming off while you are working in the engine bay.

It can kill you. If your lucky, it might just rip some fingers off.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just imagine it coming off while you are working in the engine bay.

It can kill you. If your lucky, it might just rip some fingers off.

yeh BUT, if i use a bolt that goes through the tensioner mounting poit for the boilt and out the other side with lock tight and 2 nuts i cannot see why this wont work.. the only reason that i can see there is a left hand threaded bolt is beacause of the way u gotta remove the belt you have to apply downward movement on tehtensioner bolt and if it was normal thread it would lossen...so yeh i cant see why i couldnt do it this way