Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

XYZ Coilovers in a VK

AaronW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
For the early models (VB-VP) the strut/hub are a single unit and needs to be modified to suit a coil over set up rather then the more simple bolt-in option of the later model Commodores.

You will need to remove the strut and strip it (remove the strut top mount which will release the spring. Then you can remove the shock absorber insert).

Once the strut is fully dis-assembled you will need to have the factory spring mount removed (ground off) and then the new threaded body for the coil over assembly will need to be welded onto the strut. Seeing as you are asking about this I would recommend that you have this done professionally. The kit supplier should be able to recommend someone to do this for you. Once the new threaded body is welded on you can assemble the new shock absorber insert into the strut, then fit the spring and the strut top mount.

If you go and have a look on the AV8 forum the user Smitty2 put some pictures up of the latest set of coil overs he fitted on his VK race car. I believe Smitty is a user on this forum also but I don't know if he frequents here very often.

Thanks for the info mate

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I've had a look on the AV8 forum but I can't find the thread any more. Your best bet would be to PM Smitty. He's a very helpful fellow and can probably tell you exactly what is required and link you to his thread/pictures.

AaronW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I've had a look on the AV8 forum but I can't find the thread any more. Your best bet would be to PM Smitty. He's a very helpful fellow and can probably tell you exactly what is required and link you to his thread/pictures.

Yeah i had a look too, but couldn't find it. Ill have to sign up there and message him.

Ill have to upload some pics of the coil overs i was supplied i think i may need to cut a fair bit off the top either that or pay someone to do them for me.

Thanks

Aaron

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Message him on this forum, he might be able to link it here for you.

I had a quick look on ebay and it looks like the XYZ kits actually require a good portion of the original strut is cut off and a completely new one welded onto the original hub.

AaronW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I have attached some pics so you can see the style of the XYZ's judging by their height i will need to lop a fair bit off the strut tube

404.jpg 405.jpg 406.jpg

Thanks

AaronW

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think it's just Smitty. His avatar is a yellow VK racer car.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

AaronW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
20140330_194148.jpg

Dunno if you can make it out, is half threaded and half plain.

Im guessing i have to cut the strut tower about level with the unthreaded portion.

Thanks

AaronW

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It looks like there is a shoulder where the threaded section is. I bet the instructions you have somewhere should tell you how much you need to cut off the original strut before you slip this one over before welding.

Cheers for the pics :)