Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

YAP (yet another project)

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
$45 per strut housing(came with hubs, but i took them off so i didnt damage them, and to take rotor backing plate off).

also got some rear side windows that im going to "lighten" up a bit :p

VSIIISU

Reaction score
Website
tuxsavvy.vox.com
Members Ride
VS III S Yewt
`lighten up' I hear you say? sounds like you are planning to use something like those dragsters use? what are they called? perspex type glass? heh.. more like plastic to me.. hard clear plastic and they have metal bolts and nuts holding the whole thing onto the door frame.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeh, perspex most likely, probably just for track days and the like, keeping stock ones if i get told to change them.

the good thing is, being one of those pop-out style windows instead of wind down, i can just undo the frame, remove glass, cut perspex same as glass, bolt frame back around. thats the plan anyway :p

VSIIISU

Reaction score
Website
tuxsavvy.vox.com
Members Ride
VS III S Yewt
Speaking of perspex, I wouldn't mind changing my glass ones to perspex lol.. Mind you, these are all theoretical thinking and wishful thoughts. As long as it works that's all I care about.. sometimes the law is too obnoxious and redundant for simple things we take for granted :D

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
not bad for an afternoons work i think. i ended up doing the cutting and grinding, and dad welded them, i need to hone my skills more before doing something as critical as this. cut 3.75 inches of tube out to get shocks to fit, and had to thin the tube down a bit to get the sleeves over, in the end they were a tight fit, having to hammer them down 2 inches or so, then dad welded them, so theyre not going anywhere i reckon.

springs are on their way, so next is getting the spring tops machined a bit and boring out the strut top bits to fit the 14mm thread of the shock.

100_5461.jpg

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
not bad for an afternoons work i think. i ended up doing the cutting and grinding, and dad welded them, i need to hone my skills more before doing something as critical as this. cut 3.75 inches of tube out to get shocks to fit, and had to thin the tube down a bit to get the sleeves over, in the end they were a tight fit, having to hammer them down 2 inches or so, then dad welded them, so theyre not going anywhere i reckon.

springs are on their way, so next is getting the spring tops machined a bit and boring out the strut top bits to fit the 14mm thread of the shock.

100_5461.jpg

Pure sex man!!! Can't even tell they've been cut!

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
springs arrived today, so i slapped the rears in the shocks. just gotta get some bumpstops and theyll be good to go.

100_5464.jpg

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
looking sweet, what exactly did u cut on the front shocks? coz i cant pick it

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
He would havecut the tube on the strut that hold the shock in. He cut it down so it would be the right height for the retaining nut to hold the strut insert in