Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yet Another LPG Thread...

mrhotdog

What Would Jesus Do?.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
Hey

i have a 95 VS Wagon, Have been contemplating the LPG conversion for a while now. Got quoted $2650 for 100L tank. Pros/Cons, any questions i should ask? Do i need to upgrade anything, motor is stock. Im in the western suburbs of Adelaide..

mrhotdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
Nobody has any advice?

poweredbycng

Reaction score
Get IMPCO gear with a model 225 mixer for the best results, and make sure your ignition system is in pristine condition (new plugs, leads, etc.) before you get the conversion done. You will go through spark plugs quicker on LPG than you would on petrol.

Regards,
Dave

mrhotdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
how do i know what sort of system, mixer etc they are puttin in, ive found a local place and looking to get it done it a few weeks. Plugs and leads are around 4000ish kms old, new ones?

mildewmatt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 WH II Statesman
the guy who did my gas recommends plugs get done every 10,000. your 4,000km old ones might be okay - but it's better safe than sorry. just start afresh. commodores are known for blowing the air boxes apart when they backfire.

i've got to be honest, i've had LPG put on my VS sedan and had nothing but niggling annoying problems ever since; but nothing that's stopped me running. just things like engine warning lights, hard starting sometimes, and mine absolutely guzzles lpg.

that being said, in hindsight, the guy was hardly reputable. go to someone you trust if possible.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
how do i know what sort of system, mixer etc they are puttin in, ive found a local place and looking to get it done it a few weeks. Plugs and leads are around 4000ish kms old, new ones?

Ask them what bits they are going to use.

Also:

They should use the two map MemCal = petrol aided start and LPG specific ignition timing.

Ask what they do to prevent corrosion around the sheet metal that they will have to cut or drill.

Ask how or if they maintain the anti-theft function of the security system. A factory approved kit will do so.

Do they fit stronger springs to support the extra weight of the tank? (You may be happier with a bonus lowering job at the rear instead.)

Where do you want the fuel gauge? You can have the existing gauge read the LPG level while on LPG. I prefer to know how much of each fuel I have = a separate gauge.

What fuel controller will be used? There are a couple of different types even within the Impco brand (there are other types which are compatible). An Impco Commander is cheap and works in as much as it chases a stoichiometric mixture but has no learning capability so can overshoot both rich and lean. It's not always a problem (I am using one) but if the basic tune is a long way out or varies a lot across the load range, it can be. An Adaptive Digital Processor (ADP) does have a learning function = a closer 'first guess' and tighter fuel control.

Don't worry about the 'plugs or leads. If they're only 4000km old they'll still be good. GMH says 20K km (vs 40K km) on the plugs. No need to use other than standard plugs either.

mrhotdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
well i booked my car in today for the 2nd of June. 72L usable tank along the drivers side, its a wagon. $2600 - $2000govt - $300 mum:D = $300 cost to me:dance:.

Its gonna have its own gauge. and its one of those where it starts on petrol and switches itself to gas so i dont have to do a thing

mrhotdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
Well i got my conversion done, runs even better on gas than petrol. engine light comes on after about 5-10 mins of driving but this doesnt happen when on petrol. ive read on here that it can be something to do with O2 sensors but nonetheless ill go back on mon to get em to fix it. Gas is 67c - Petrol is 1.60, GAS RULES lol

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Excutive Turbo, 00 VT Olympic Edition
What klms do you get out of a tank of gas tho?

mrhotdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
well i dont know as i havent used a tank up yet, ill post when i fill next