Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your choice or a future law. (W.A)

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Yes, these threads are never ending but its interesting to see the other side of the argument.

What most people forget, is these laws were introduced, not because of the speeds the turbos and v8s can do but the way its power is put to the ground.

Now, the government has spent millions of advertising campaigns and it hasn't really done much for the reduction percentage in P plate deaths, a big part of the issue lies with the (young) human brain and its ability (or lack of) to asses the risks associated with a poor decision and combine that with something that is extremely heavy and fast at delivering power, well you know the rest....

Also, at the end of the day its only for a few years, buy an eXcel and save your penny's for an awesome V8 that you can drive later on.... :)

yeah fair call. disallowing certain cars certainly does help with many of the idiots. (although many just drop the plates. like this guy i know who drives a turboed porche on p's)
they do put out a huge amount of power.

however the current law is flawed. more or less with the "turboed diesel" law
i know of a guy who drove his dads 2010 Golf GTI (TDI i think)
turbo diesel and was p plate legal. had way more power then a lightly modified SS. it may aswell have been a race car in comparison to your every day VS.
he wrote it off. and nearly got killed when it occured.

and yeah agree on the save and buy an 8
however if your getting well paid that next v8 will be quite far from stock =P
(which a 496ci camaro isnt exactly "powerful" is it =P)

all i can say is if they do bring in these laws that they are reasonable and not stupid.

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
i thought a power cap would have done nicely, i think ecotecs have more power than 253's or 308's! lol

but as said the torque is also an issue, if only they had a limit to them, i think it may solve some of the problems and bitching.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Did he lose control IN a powerful car or BECAUSE of a powerful car because they are 2 different things. I essentially agree with a power restriction particularly for first year p-platers but I can't understand here in vic you cant drive a
150kW old V8 but you can drive a 210kW SV6
so its a complicated issue. I don't know the specifics of the tragedy your talking about but if the driver was driving like a d/head he's gonna kill someone with or without a turbo or 2 extra cylinders. If he was driving responsibly and simply made a judgement error it's the same deal, power might not come into it.

I can tell you that you are way safer in a 210kw SV6 than any 150KW 5 litre. Not only a matter of the power/torque but the chassis said clunker 5 litre in is a death trap when compared to the safety systems employed in a 210kw VE.

Reaper

dijm8

What You Looking At
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS LS3
People just dont understand you can kill yourself in any car..a v8 or a 4cyl it dosent matter they can reach high speeds and lose control just as much..

They can keep throwin new laws etc its not going to do anything..kids are kids ther always looking for trouble or to prove somethig

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

fossburger

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II executive V6
it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the car

i'm in victoria and on my p's so i drive a V6 ecotec... and even i have had my odd scary moment or close call
and yet i definitely DO NOT drive like an idiot
you can kill yourself and others around you in whatever car you drive

It's all about the brain inside the driver, and whether he's a ######## or not

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Everyone keeps saying that you can kill yourself in any car, while this is true, it is less likely to happen in an Excel than a turbo'd Supra or VZ SS. Who wants to race an Excel?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Just bring in lifetime driving bans and long term gaol sentances (5 years +) for any learner or p plater or driver under 25 years of age that speeds. Im sure that would deter quite a few people from speeding. Some countries have the death penalty for drink driving- get that into ya all you clowns who drink and drive, It should be exactly the same here for that ****.. The government here arent serious about saving lives, they just want to raise revenue so they can give themselves payrises, otherwise, for 1, we would be driving on freeways similar to the european autobahns which are some of the the safest roads in the world, and 2, the penalties would be greater than they currently are for speeding etc , so they arent serious about saving lives.. There should also be compulsary 5 years driving tests for everyone who already has a licence, most drivers around here, young and old, are frigging hopeless and couldnt drive out of sight on a dark night. Its no wonder we have to pay so much for insurance.

355SENATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator/VS Statesman/VS Calais
I think it is a bit stupid that you cant drive anything except a v6 for 4 years then all of a sudden you get your opens and can drive whatever you like AND consume alcohol whislt doing so... they need to really use the graduated licensing system by gradually reducing the restrictions, e.g First year 4cyl and one passenger, Second year 6 cyl and three passengers, 3rd year v6 and full car, 4th year Power to weight ratio so you can get used to how an old v8/turbo/SC drives not make you so unnaware of the power that is out there until you can be .05 and drive it. Imagine going from an old VN-VS to an xr6turbs or a blown VE clubbie, seems you stop the P-plater from being the statistic to making the new open licensed driver the statistic, I am currently on my P's and I have a 355 VR Senator sitting in the shed for the day i get off them and a super charger kit ready to bolt on to my VS Calais, Driving a V8 is all i have wanted to do since before i got my L's so i can imagine there would be alot of others out there like myself that are waiting or are just doing it. I got my license in the year they changed these rules in Vic so I have mates who are my age that are on their opens and driving whatever they want (even after losing there license for doing stupid things) yet i am restriced to my P's for another year, and probably done more driving then most of them put together. I understand the safety side of things but surely there is some form of defensive driving course (i had to do one to drive work cars) that they could implement to allow you to drive weaker restricted cars and in the process teach you something valuable, make it anything over 90% pass mark allows you to do so or something! it would work alot better!

VZ_SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
My opinion is p platers should be able to drive whatever they want. If they are a dick, they will be in any car.