Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your thoughs

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
just wanting you thoughs on wether i should spend lots of money on doing up my vs ute perosonally i think its a good idea, i love the ecotec, i love the shape of the vs ute and how simple the interior is ( I hate techincal **** ) lol but any atm all ive done is

new plugs
full exhuast system
pod enclosure with pod
changed tail lights
18inch Mags

Future mods:
lowing
bigger thorttle body
high flow maf
larger intake piping (for the trolttle body)
roller rockers
smooth polsihed hardlid
plenium spacer
manifold spacer
basic tune
full car respray
stage 2 shift kit (get a rebuild of my auto when doing this too)

id rather keep an older model smick then just get a new one

just wondering on your thoughs on this

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
go for you life mate you wont regret it. screw the auto get a manual conversion ftw. GO FOR GOLD SON.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
To be honest, I wouldn't spend money on an Ecotec. It just takes silly amounts of money to get anything out of it.

I've been down that path, and I've also done the manual conversion (on a VT), was about $2500 all up and was heaps better than the auto, but really I shouldn't have wasted the money, I should have just saved for the LS1 (which I've got now, and my only regret is not spending money on the Ecotec, and getting the V8 sooner).

Don't know which is quicker down the 1/4 (auto or manual) but the manual is just soooo much more fun to drive I really wouldn't care :)

The hint is in the name "Ecotec", it was designed to be economical, not to blow you away. If you want a performance car, buy a performance car, it will be much cheaper in the long run.

Thats my 2c!

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
kk only prob is that im on my p's and cant drive a v8 til im over 25 only 18 atm turing 19 this year

Is it over-25 in QLD? Wow, I thought you just had to get off your P's.

Either way though, if you're going to mod an Ecotec, I really wouldn't bother trying to squeeze power out of it, because short of a blower (which wouldn't be P-plate legal anyway) there isn't a whole lot to be had.

Mods that make it nicer to driver would be suspension - I had all round Bilstein shocks and Whiteline sway bar and strut brace, and my god it was a huuuuge improvement over the boat suspension it came with. That made it real nice to put through corners. Manual was also a nice upgrade, but as I said all of that cost me about $5-6k which if I had been more patient could have just gone straight to a better car later.

I also put headers and exhaust on it, but it only made it sound nice, no real performance improvement that I could notice. $1500 for wank factor at the end of the day.

dufus

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
rickshaw
Basic home made CAI, tune, manual conversion thats all id do.

scrabet

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore executive
go the manual. iv just started putting mine in not that hard. should be able to get one for less then $2000 mine was 1100 but i had to buy a pedal box and clutch master cylinder.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
lol yeah i mite just lowering it and leave it at that and yeah its 25 :( i pay this one off in 3 yrs at the end of this one so maybe just save for a new alloytech as much as i dont like them then sell this one in 3 yrs and get a newer ute

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
If you like it go for it. Personally id say foget about lager T/B, i really dont think your gonna see any gains out of it. Definatly do the suspension up, all the old bushes will be getting tired. I'd do that first as the priority myself. Just lower it slightly with new shocks and progressive springs for a nice ride. I think there was some pace maker extractors in the f/s section a while back, dunno if they sold or not. But do the zorst up next to get it sounding nice and get the auto and chip done last once you got the car setup nice.