Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your VE- What problems have you had

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
The truth of the matter is there are no manufacturers producing problem free cars today - It's one of the issues surrounding the financial climate and mass production. BMWs have crap paint, Minis have no clear on inner surface paint, Ford have the same build issues as holden, Aston have GPS units and hard drives that don't work because they insist on buying them from Volvo, Alfas don't work at all, Ferraris catch fire, the list goes on. There will always be good examples and bad examples of any car, and often that comes down to the driver even being aware of the issues. But essentially, that's what warranties are for - so long as you are alert when driving and notice any issues that may occur and deal with them accordingly, you shouldn't find your car on the back of a tilt tray.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
The truth of the matter is there are no manufacturers producing problem free cars today - It's one of the issues surrounding the financial climate and mass production. BMWs have crap paint, Minis have no clear on inner surface paint, Ford have the same build issues as holden, Aston have GPS units and hard drives that don't work because they insist on buying them from Volvo, Alfas don't work at all, Ferraris catch fire, the list goes on. There will always be good examples and bad examples of any car, and often that comes down to the driver even being aware of the issues. But essentially, that's what warranties are for - so long as you are alert when driving and notice any issues that may occur and deal with them accordingly, you shouldn't find your car on the back of a tilt tray.

I think you've summed it up pretty well!

Has anyone had a problem with the 6Litres, in particular, the L76 having the upper radiator hose flatten itself? It's happened when being both hot and cold, Holden say air pockets... but that sounds like bullshit to me

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
Got a 2007 VE Calais V V6, had absolutely nothing go wrong,just done 103000klms, serviced on time every time, very very happy with it. Puts a smile on my face every time i drive it although i do love all the gadgets it has.

dmp8810

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SV6
07 SV6 SEDAN
1) Centre radio doesnt turn on sometimes.Happened 5 times already.
2) Centre top LCD flickering with indicators.Happened 2 times already.
3) Rear tyres scrubbing out too early.About to replace first set of tyres.
4) Clunk over bumps, front top strut bearings. About to replace.
5) Engine mounts.Replaced at 105 000km.
6) LHF door seal leaking.About to replace.
7) Centre LCD keeping volume on screen untill next ignition cycle.Happened 6 times already.
8) Brake fluid resovoir O rings leaking.About to replace.
9) Oil filler cap leaking. About to replace.
10) Steering wheel controls not working properly when trying to skip next cd track.Happened 3 times already.
11) Automatic belt tensioner worn/loud.About to replace.

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
30,000 kms ve sv6 s2

- drivers side windscreen wiper hose was broken
- handbrake loose (12 clicks)
- IQ occasionally goes feral
- plastics show prominent wear and tear (any tips on making it look better?)
- manual gear shift plastic is showing some wear

other than that everythings going good (touches wood)

Last edited:

SV6GUY

Reaction score
Members Ride
MANUAL VE SV6 S2
Ive done 15,000KM and the only problem was i had to change oil and filters at the 15,000 service.Great car to drive, reliable and well built.

replacing oil filter and oil is standard procedure when you service your car and isn't a 'problem'

DamoSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Sportwagon
Hi I have a 2010 Wildfire SSV Wagon, owned it for 18 months and 25000 K's, I have it on short shocks and SSL's with 22's. As expected it's a little hard but swapping the standard shocks to shoties had it riding on the shock travel instead of the bump stops the main dealer sent it out on:doh:
There arple of PITA areas, first are the 22's never going there again. Not made for North West roads and I'm up to $800 in buckle repairs over 18 months!
Finally there is a definate issue with the door alignment or something, when driving all I hear are the doors moving in the door shuts, not excessive but enough to annoy you and especially with the rear drivers to the point where the door rubber has worked its way through the clear, base and is now eating into the primer. There are other areas on the other doors where the movement has started to abrade the clear.
I am in discussions with the local dealer at the moment, initially they came back with the opinion that it was happening because it was lowered, I left it a couple of months and returned to see a new guy who said it was door alignment, strange that, so I now have to see the solution from Holden.
This has got that annoying now, I am considering getting rid once it is sorted. It's not the car it's the whole Holden attitude.
Let's see what happens......

Kano

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ss ute my09
I've loved holdens forever so when I bought my ss ute
I thought my days of fixing cars were over, don't get
Me wrong I love it, but when I get up at 5 I expect
It to start. 30000 mms and 18 months old all I got on
Friday was stability control fault, contact dealer flash
On my dash. Held the enter button on the steering
Wheel when turning on the ignition, putting it into
Engineering mode, full battery, no engine or battery light
Just a car that costs me 900 bucks a month that doesn't
Start! Gonna find it hard to earn the 50 g a year
To pay for it. Took 3 weeks and 25 calls just to
Get the main pulley replaced after it threw a belt!
Clutch replaced (ok I like burnouts) but used own cash,
Wtf

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Hi I have a 2010 Wildfire SSV Wagon, owned it for 18 months and 25000 K's, I have it on short shocks and SSL's with 22's. As expected it's a little hard but swapping the standard shocks to shoties had it riding on the shock travel instead of the bump stops the main dealer sent it out on:doh:
There arple of PITA areas, first are the 22's never going there again. Not made for North West roads and I'm up to $800 in buckle repairs over 18 months!
Finally there is a definate issue with the door alignment or something, when driving all I hear are the doors moving in the door shuts, not excessive but enough to annoy you and especially with the rear drivers to the point where the door rubber has worked its way through the clear, base and is now eating into the primer. There are other areas on the other doors where the movement has started to abrade the clear.
I am in discussions with the local dealer at the moment, initially they came back with the opinion that it was happening because it was lowered, I left it a couple of months and returned to see a new guy who said it was door alignment, strange that, so I now have to see the solution from Holden.
This has got that annoying now, I am considering getting rid once it is sorted. It's not the car it's the whole Holden attitude.
Let's see what happens......

Door alignment is a fairly common issue with the VE. Most owners don't notice the mis-alignment and never get it sorted.
The day I got my car I instantly noticed the mis-alignment. The drivers door was way out. After spending a fair bit of time, the alignment is now good.
I actually had to move both the drivers side door around until they fit the body holes properly. To do this work without damaging the paint is time consuming. Something that I would let a snott-nosed dealer mechanic stuff around with.

I'm quiet familar with aligning doors and wouldn't recommend anyone to try it. If you have half an idea, then do it yourself or get some advice from a decent panel shop.
Getting to the hinge bolts of the front doors is difficult but not impossible.

I have actually contacted Holden about why their cars are being produced with such a stupid quality defect. They told me that the doors are positioned centrally within the door cavity when secured, then a human checks the door position using a go-no-go gauge.
Well Holden, its not working!!!!!:rofl2: