Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

You're going to hate me for this but.. What mod next?!?!

letthiswork1

Thomas
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute (2003)
Hey Guys,

I hate the 'what mods should i do to my car next' threads but.. Im really torn on what to do! :(

So far i have the basic Cat back Exhaust with a Mace CAI.
I have about $2200 to spend on my car. I am thinking of Getting some body work done e.g Tint windows, Lower car, new front Bumper..

But as far as perfomance goes im torn on what to do.. I am thinking of getting Pacemaker Extractors and Maybe High ratio Rockers..
What is going to be the best perfomance? Keep in mind this is a project for me.. although also my daily drive...

Its a V6 VY 03 Ute.. done 180,000km

On a side note - How much is a tune??

Last edited:

VT_SS

-
Reaction score
Members Ride
EVIL304
Is it a V8 or V6 and i would start with finishing your exaust first.

hN!

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 03
Roller Rockers 1.9.1 + Full exhaust Best bang for your buck in my opinion and dif gears if you wanted.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Diff gear change can improve acceleration at the expense of top end speed in each gear. It's really just a compromise but if you want better acceleration through the gears, this is the way to go.

Changing engine components like rockers can improve performance slightly but with the comparitively crude design and low state of tune of the standard V6, the improvement is not as noticable as changing gear ratios.

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
For that coin you could forget about body mods and go Second hand LSD and diff gears, Mace rockers and pacemakers.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
What would you say is better? Roller rockers or diff gears? Car is auto btw.

Thanks guys

rockers will gain 10-15kw plus buy a MACE chip for $120 at the same time, do the hi-flo cat (I paid $750 for mine) and extractors later as there very expensive for little gain maybe 5-10kw. diff gears will cost you anywhere from $400 bucks at a wrecker to $2500 for a full diff rebuild with no pwer gain just more wheel spin down low and a lower top end speed plus high rev's on the highway using more fuel.

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
rockers will gain 10-15kw plus buy a MACE chip for $120 at the same time, do the hi-flo cat (I paid $750 for mine) and extractors later as there very expensive for little gain maybe 5-10kw. diff gears will cost you anywhere from $400 bucks at a wrecker to $2500 for a full diff rebuild with no pwer gain just more wheel spin down low and a lower top end speed plus high rev's on the highway using more fuel.

Vy's don't run a seperate Memcal so he would need to get it tuned in person, or get a replacement ECU sent out; Unless that's what you mean.

OT: Roller rockers would be the go to get best bang for buck and not have to give up your fuel economy. If you don't care about fuel economy, I know someone who can build you fresh tight LSD, brand new better graded bearings, seals etc for $950.

I'm selling mine if you're interested also, I got it from the same guy and I've done about 4000-5000k's on it.. So pretty much ran in.

Offer me a price if you want, depending if you're in VIC.