Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ZB Calais Tourer Is It Worth The upgade

Turk Kurtulus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Omega
Hello Folks,

Living in rural and working in Melbourne has finally taken the toll on my Omega completing over 320,000kms averaging 650kms a week. My mechanic whose cared for her has said time to release her from the long daily travels. I looked at what is out there and found a 2019 ZB Calais Tourer, which has all the bells and whistles for less $$$ than other makes. Is it worth buying one knowing that I keep vehicles until it is time to retire them? Is there any known faults to look for? The one I'm looking at has travelled 55,000ks. I appreciate your honest response. Thanks

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Mine is not a calais but it is a v6 with the 9speed auto and it does 100km+ per day on country roads.
I have no problems with it.
The zb makes a perfect daily driver and overall it is not too thirsty for fuel.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Hello Folks,

Living in rural and working in Melbourne has finally taken the toll on my Omega completing over 320,000kms averaging 650kms a week. My mechanic whose cared for her has said time to release her from the long daily travels. I looked at what is out there and found a 2019 ZB Calais Tourer, which has all the bells and whistles for less $$$ than other makes. Is it worth buying one knowing that I keep vehicles until it is time to retire them? Is there any known faults to look for? The one I'm looking at has travelled 55,000ks. I appreciate your honest response. Thanks
I guess once you have bought it you will have upgayed:) (just kidding by the way).

Turk Kurtulus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Omega
Mine is not a calais but it is a v6 with the 9speed auto and it does 100km+ per day on country roads.
I have no problems with it.
The zb makes a perfect daily driver and overall it is not too thirsty for fuel.
Thank You

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I think you should be very happy with a Calais Tourer.

I know this is about the VXR but I think you'd be similarly impressed. https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/where-are-the-vxr-owners.273408/post-3212151 Other than the engine and AWD most of the other techy stuff is the same.

I presume since you said Calais not Calais V you're looking at the 2 litre turbo which produces more power than the 3 litre in the Omega and has a lot more low down punch.

I've just looked on line and all the Calais Tourers listed were V6's so perhaps it's not a 2 litre after all. If it's a V6 it will be AWD.

Either way I think you'll be happy.

Last edited:

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
Calais Tourers are all V6 AWD. They also have the softest suspension setup of the entire ZB line for use on unsealed country roads.

Turk Kurtulus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Omega
Thanks for your opinions, I feel more confident about the ZB. It is a V6, I think I would kill the 2ltr quickly with the kms I do. Cheers

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
The engine is a later version of the one in the Omega. It goes well and the gearbox is very smooth. My wife has a 2013 VE S Z series and the ZB is a much better car to drive in my opinion.

Turk Kurtulus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Omega
Good to know, what makes it hard at the moment is rural people are not allowed in metro and visa versa without a good reason. The vehicles I have narrowed down are in metro and up grading a vehicle is not considered essential. Seems I have to find a dealer who has yards in both metro and rural and that way they can ship the car over to be seen by the potential buyer.