Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Vt-Vy with Vn T5 possible?

V6Q

Reaction score
Members Ride
HQ ute with v6 commodore motor, gbox and diff
hi all, just joined, and got a few questions, ive got a 73 Hq kingswood ute, which, as a father/son project(me being son) is having complete bare metal respray, body, chassie, inside and out, ive rebuilt/resprayed my chassie awaiting the body back from the pannel/paint shop, atm it has a converted vn diff, 4 wheel disks, bw t5 and s1 vn, but my motors stuffed, and im trying to work out what motor i should use, ive got 2 s1 manual v6's and a ford t5(for the extension housing)

i was talking to a bloke yesterday and he had a vr commy with a vy v6/auto, to get around all the security rubbish hes kept the vr throttle body and factory vr computer etc theres probally more i cant remember, the security is the biggest problem with my HQ-v6 conversion, now to my question,
can a bolt one of my T5s up to a vt, vy etc, and then run the vn computer, what parts am i going to need, i allready need a new tailshaft no matter what, oh and will my extractors match aswell, there vn ones from castlemain rod shop v6 into hq,

i just need to know exactly what i need for the conversion if it'll work, ie which flywheel, what computer, atm its ready to take a v6 and t5, minus a wiring loom which is in the works
cheers guys
ill post a link to my build on aussiev8 if anybody's interested

V6Q

Reaction score
Members Ride
Come on no one knows or has looked into it

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
T5 bolted up to Ecotec will be no problems, just will need a VS S1 V6 flywheel.

As for security, easiest way is to retain the VN computer and harness (will need some wires extended etc), and get an Ecotec tune burnt to the memcal.

Extractors will not work, different exhaust port spacing.

V6Q

Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers for the reply, thats good, all they way the vy? vs s1 manual flywheel or dosent matter, what sort of place could burn the ecotec memcal on, and the extractors are they completely different, the same bloke with the vy in vr thought it was only the last set of bolts or something was different, how big of a job to make them work be, its not prob got a welder, both extractors or just one

V6Q

Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers mate, do you know by how much my extractors wont fit, vn-ecotec

V6Q

Reaction score
Members Ride
well ive read them both and got a question whats a bottom bellhousing bracket???,
i need a vs manual flywheel and starter,
clutch is cable allready,
tailshaft needs to be redone anyway
the computer is the biggest problem buick or ecotec becasue its going into a hq, can i keep the vn throttle body and vn computer to get rid of the security stuff?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
well ive read them both and got a question whats a bottom bellhousing bracket???,
i need a vs manual flywheel and starter,
clutch is cable allready,
tailshaft needs to be redone anyway
the computer is the biggest problem buick or ecotec becasue its going into a hq, can i keep the vn throttle body and vn computer to get rid of the security stuff?

Sorry I didn't read the thread, thought you were putting a t5 into a vt -vy commodore.

the ecotec can run on your current delco 808 (vn/vp) map program, but would require a custom tune and likely extending some of the wiring. the cheaper route would be to use an ecotec pcm and get someone with a memcal programmer to remove the VATS from the tune so it doesn't require a code from the keyhead/BCM

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged

Its where to bottom of the bell housing bolts up to the block, the buick bracket cant be swapped over, i have found the standard vt-vx auto brackets can be used, just need to drill out the holes a bit more on the gearbox and the brackets as they wont bolt directly together.

V6Q

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry I didn't read the thread, thought you were putting a t5 into a vt -vy commodore.

the ecotec can run on your current delco 808 (vn/vp) map program, but would require a custom tune and likely extending some of the wiring. the cheaper route would be to use an ecotec pcm and get someone with a memcal programmer to remove the VATS from the tune so it doesn't require a code from the keyhead/BCM
no worries so it can be done which is a good thing