Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5.0L SS exhaust costs/performance question

QWK-11E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2009
Hey guys, :wave:

i have my VR SS and the cat on it is gone, i have heard that it costs up 2 $250 to replace it

now just wondering if you guys have approx prices for exhausts the type i wanna get are both cat back

duel 2.5inch
or a single 3inch

wat prices u guys think ill be paying or should be paying for these exausts and which ones do u guys recommend performance wise

cheers :drink:

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
been quoted for my vp clubbie, $700 approx for a set of pacies(the best by far)
$220 per cat, gonna go twin cats, i already have twin 2.25in cat back. i'll keep the cat back zorst.
twin 2.5 is equal to 3in, so twin 2.25 should be equal to about 2.75in which is big enough for a stock 180kw motor.

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
I got a redback mild steel system for my vt 5L.
It cost $625 fitted, it is a cat back twin 2 1/2 inch with straight rhrough mufflers, it then bends into a single 3 inch tail pipe at the back with no resinator. It sounds wicked. I noticed the power increase, but it wasnt all that much.
I noticed it heaps more when i got the extractors though, sound and power!
I have a set of tri y advanced headers, they cost $710 fitted, and i was told by three different places that they were achieving better dyno figures than pacemaker. I bought them and im very happy, sounds awesome and gave it a substancial power increase, highly recommended.

H

HSV1992

TAILS83 said:
been quoted for my vp clubbie, $700 approx for a set of pacies(the best by far)
$220 per cat, gonna go twin cats, i already have twin 2.25in cat back. i'll keep the cat back zorst.
twin 2.5 is equal to 3in, so twin 2.25 should be equal to about 2.75in which is big enough for a stock 180kw motor.

Twin 2.25 inch = single 3 inch, and the exhaust shop told me a twin cat into single 3 inch system is the way to go, unless you wanna look for big power numbers

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
impressive said:
what brand extractors do u have? 710 for tri-y's (fitted), sounds pretty cheap.

Yeah they are cheap, they are called "Advanced Headers", all the carline muffler shops stock them, a few other places do too, but i know all the carlines up my way all do.
I was told they flow better and are dyno proven better than pacies for 5L commies. With pacies you are gettin a great product, but pay for the name, whereas advanced headers dont have a name yet and are still relatively cheap.

Also, for the headers supllied and not fitted, $500, Gaskets $10 or something.
They are a heaps good investment, go heaps harder, and sounds sssoooo F**N tuff!!

vrberlina94

Reaction score
You might also wanna look at DiFillipo. They are a good choice especially if you plan on running big numbers on a VT 5.0/5.7lt as they are about the only company to make a 1 3/4" primary rather then a 1 5/8", they are also a 4-into-1 rather then try-y's.

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
vrberlina94 said:
You might also wanna look at DiFillipo. They are a good choice especially if you plan on running big numbers on a VT 5.0/5.7lt as they are about the only company to make a 1 3/4" primary rather then a 1 5/8", they are also a 4-into-1 rather then try-y's.

Yeah i looked at getting 4 into 1 headers on my 5L, however if you are only looking to warm it over, get tri y.
Tri y give you a better increase in low and midrange whereas the 4 into 1 are for high end only, They apparently are pains in the ass for scrapping out too.
If your only looking at cai, exhaust, computer and maybe small cam etc go tri y.
If you are looking at larger cam, twin throttles, head work and other more expensive mods look at 4 into 1.
Im just saying for a less extreme package a tri y is more of an all rounder.

vrberlina94

Reaction score
vtss5spd said:
Yeah i looked at getting 4 into 1 headers on my 5L, however if you are only looking to warm it over, get tri y.
Tri y give you a better increase in low and midrange whereas the 4 into 1 are for high end only, They apparently are pains in the ass for scrapping out too.
If your only looking at cai, exhaust, computer and maybe small cam etc go tri y.
If you are looking at larger cam, twin throttles, head work and other more expensive mods look at 4 into 1.
Im just saying for a less extreme package a tri y is more of an all rounder.
Yeah I see your point, as I am looking at them to suit a VT GTS they are a fair better option. Since the GTS is a 5.7lt stroker it has plenty of bottom end, and the 1 5/8" are abit to small.