Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Auto Dipstick

Silver Streak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR
Hi does any one know were the Dipstick to check the Automatic Tranmission Oil is , am I going blind or am I looking straight at it and can not see , this is on a SS V auto, and were is the dipstick on the Adventure , the four wheel drive , interested to find out ,
Regards

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Yeah, no dipstick in the 6L autos.

The owner's manual says something alomg the lines of "Automatic transmission fluid levels will be checked by your Holden dealer at scheduled services".

Spargo

holden tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Senator (SEN87A), VT V6, 90' Laser EFI.
yep, you've got a 5 speed auto - no dipstick
can only check it through the fill plug when trans up to temp (around 40 degrees)
and they get serviced at 150,000km as opposed to 105,000km's for the 4 spd

Only the older 4 spd have the dipsticks.

peterrobo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais 190kw
Further to Spargo's post above, not only must the transmission oil be at optimum running temperature BUT also the vehicle must be well elevated to allow access under vehicle (and of course supported on vehicle safety stands), be sitting level (both front to rear and side to side), have engine running and continue to be running whilst ever the filler plug is in the removed state. Failure to observe these points will result in trans fluid being dumped out of the filler plug-hole as soon as the engine is turned off. Additionally the task is not a safe one as the filler plug is in close proximity to the hot exhaust components so be very careful not to get burned if you choose to perform the task yourself.

Spargo

holden tech
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV Senator (SEN87A), VT V6, 90' Laser EFI.
^^^ Exactly
And the only way to know what the Trans oil temp is (that i know of) is with Tech2.

No-one knows your holden like your holden dealership!.. ;-P

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
They're a pain in the rectal region to fill and to check the level on.

Unless you're positive you know what you're doing and that you really really really want to do it, i'd advise not doing it at home.;)

jeffs2008/my09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Yeah, no dipstick in the 6L autos.

The owner's manual says something alomg the lines of "Automatic transmission fluid levels will be checked by your Holden dealer at scheduled services".
As far as I know there isn't one, the levels need to be checked from the trans itself by removing the fill plug.

Last edited:

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
you now hold the record
15 year thread dig
congratulations

jeffs2008/my09

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
you now hold the record
15 year thread dig
congratulations
Lout,
Is that an issue being a newbie and an old man in need of good advice why my Calais gets some problems and then after turning car off I get check engine and now contact Dealer.What does this tell you maybe I shouldn't waste my time at all.vehicle has shown ZERO ERRORS on ODB2 so now off to have a history dig into my ECU at$176 to find this issue I would bet it was in the car prior to my buying it from Dealer.
Regards
Jeff