Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6.0ltr Oil consumption....

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
Just a quick one, Had a service @ 90k its up to 95k now but i had to add 800mm of oil the other day, Car does not leak oil, does not blow smoke, so im just wondering where it has gone?....This is the first time it has ever gone through this much, Is it a concirn? or is it normal for these engines....?

Cheers

Steve

bluessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS Thunder Ute
What oil was used?? Are you sure it was filled correctly at the service?? The biggest concern here is the way you spelt concern!! Ha ha

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
what oil are u putting in it? a type of fully synthetic of a good brand?

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
What oil was used?? Are you sure it was filled correctly at the service?? The biggest concern here is the way you spelt concern!! Ha ha
......Yeah opps the bourbon does not help my spelling...

After last service the oil level was ok, I assume they used Mobil 1 as that is what the label says top right of windscreen....As for if it was fully synthetic or not im not sure....im hoping it will not go through anymore....im checking it everyday as i dont want to kill the engine if it runs low or out....

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
possibility is the mechanic ####ed up and didnt put enough in to begin with, you realised once your oil light came on? Find out what oil is in it, you definitly want fully synthetic it will protect your engine the best

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
possibility is the mechanic ####ed up and didnt put enough in to begin with, you realised once your oil light came on? Find out what oil is in it, you definitly want fully synthetic it will protect your engine the best

im one of those people that always do weekly checks under hood, whatever oil holden used well who knows what they use...I know next time it gets serviced ill be insisting on fully synthetic, and it will not be getting serviced at holden..Just out of interest the oil light on dash fails to light up! I only noticed this last night, is it much of a job to change the bulbs..?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Oil light shouldnt come on for 800mls of lost oil

Oil light would come on if lost ALOT of oil and was on bare minimum and if thats the case, thats when immediate top up and mechanic is needed to determine where it went.

800mls (800mm is a length as per original post) is nothing. My flatmates 2001 Hyundai Accent used 1.8 litres over 5k, my old Falcons used about a litre pending on what oil was used.

Basically, your car has done enough kms now to warrant weekly checks. Get to know your car and top up fluids when needed etc

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
Oil light shouldnt come on for 800mls of lost oil

Oil light would come on if lost ALOT of oil and was on bare minimum and if thats the case, thats when immediate top up and mechanic is needed to determine where it went.

800mls (800mm is a length as per original post) is nothing. My flatmates 2001 Hyundai Accent used 1.8 litres over 5k, my old Falcons used about a litre pending on what oil was used.

Basically, your car has done enough kms now to warrant weekly checks. Get to know your car and top up fluids when needed etc

Cheers Uniacidz...

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
im one of those people that always do weekly checks under hood, whatever oil holden used well who knows what they use...I know next time it gets serviced ill be insisting on fully synthetic, and it will not be getting serviced at holden..Just out of interest the oil light on dash fails to light up! I only noticed this last night, is it much of a job to change the bulbs..?

does this mean it has lost 800mls in a week?

wouldnt the dash light be pressure? on before start then off? look in your book I do not own one

spanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V UTE,VE SS SEDAN
Did you check it before or after the tune you had done???? A few power runs on the dyno may have something to do with it also